Photo

Pit strategies and timing data

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 belanger

belanger

• 1 posts

Posted 20 August 1999 - 05:56

I am currently in the process of writing, just for the fun of it, a program to help predict and simulate (in real time) optimal pitting strategies at any point in a race. To do this, I would need to have acces to output files from the timing programs/machanims as a team would get them.
They do not have to be recent, but I would also need to have them for all the intervals, to know at what track they come from and the positionning of the captors on the track.
If anybody could tell me if such data is available and, if so, where it can be found, I would greatly appreceate it.

If anybody has any suggestions as to parameters that I should take into consideration, let me know.

thanks in advance

Eric Belanger
belangee@videotron.ca

Advertisement

#2 PDA

PDA

• 1,017 posts

Posted 20 August 1999 - 12:36

Fuel weight is an important parameter. And bear in mind that weight sensitivity of lap times varies a lot from one circuit to another. I have seen statements that on circuit A every kilo costs 1/20 second, while at circuit B 10 kilos cost 1/10 second.

The SG of fuels may differ from one team to another.

At the beginning of the year, Stewart did not have a large enough fuel tank to adopt a one stop strategy.

length of pit road - when the pit road was lengthened in Brazil at the las minute and a lower speed limit imposed, Stewart's two stop strategy was ruined.

Pit lane speed limit.

Rate of flow of the fuel filler (I have heard an unconfirmed rumour that they will be faster next year)

In lap and out lap speeds.

Will that do to start?

#3 Christiaan

Christiaan
  • Tech Forum Host

• 1,834 posts

Posted 20 August 1999 - 18:02

coool idea! I have often wanted to try something similar but I currently don't have the computer resources.

With regard to datalogging and speeds round the track, you can get that at www.Formula1.com in the "circuits" link.They have a nice simulation of each track. Make sure your browser has Macromedia Flash installed on it.

Ross Brawn's program allegedly has a realtime link to all the current speeds, and also tyre wear and fuel consumption estimates of the rest of the cars on the field. This will enable him to predict when any other team will come in for a stop, and the traffic conditions upon exiting.