Photo

Prost follows Ferrari and Ford...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Telemetry Man

Telemetry Man

• 254 posts

Posted 10 September 1999 - 04:09

Prost revealed that they will be using an exhaust exiting from the top of the bodywork ala Ferrari and more recently Ford in Monza. If it's that advantageous why aren't McLaren using it? They appear to have the advantage without having to use it.

Advertisement

#2 Christiaan

Christiaan
  • Tech Forum Host

• 1,834 posts

Posted 10 September 1999 - 15:15

I have also wondered the same, then I looked at Rubens car before and after the transformation. It seems that their are someextensive aerodynamic modifications that one needs to make to the rear of the car before you can adopt such an exhaust. The rear wing also needs to be changed, almost completely. Maybe this is why the Macs are hesitant...because their aerodynamic advantage is somewhere sensetive like the rear area.....MAYBE

#3 Telemetry Man

Telemetry Man

• 254 posts

Posted 16 September 1999 - 08:33

Am I wrong but didn't Panis clock the fastest lap at one point around mid-race? I believe Speedvision had him at fastest lap. But it only lasted a couple-3 laps at most.

#4 Kärjistäjä

Kärjistäjä

• 164 posts

Posted 19 September 1999 - 18:24

The heat from the exhaust gases might affect the McLaren's car differently. Other option could be that they aren't willing to take that risk, it is only 3 races before the end of the season and they are already the fastest team. Could it be that they will use it in the MP-14/15?

#5 SB

SB

• 2,420 posts

Posted 21 September 1999 - 00:16

I've read an article last year when Ferrari introduced the exhaust system. It said the advantage of the new system is that the rear end would be less sensitive during the accelerate pedal on/off (ie mostly in corners). Thus it should provide a better handling and better laptime.

But the trade off is this system would lose a bit horsepower.

May be McLaren believes that its cars are aerodyramically good enough ......

SB

#6 Christiaan

Christiaan
  • Tech Forum Host

• 1,834 posts

Posted 21 September 1999 - 18:14

Well, it makes more sense that they would get a better engine performance curve with the exhaust. The aerodynamics are an added advantage, which Ferrari would hide behind to protect their advantage

#7 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 21 September 1999 - 22:11

Hi,

I'm back from vacation, back to my internet access!

Concerning the high exhaust, there is another benefit, which is in fact closely related to what is discussed in another thread here: Length and construction of the exhaust pipe. It seems the Ferrari engine needs a short exhaust to work most efficiently, thus they did not route it all the way back to the end of car (where it also may unsettle the aerodynamics), but routed it "out" of the bodywork via the shortest possible way. If you look at the pictures of the car shortly after Ferrari introduced this change, you'll notice the special heat deflection sheets on the rear wings and bodywork.

Methinks the main advantage is to keep the engine happy, not aeros. This would also explain why Macs don't have it. Their engine seems to be perfect with the "standard" exhaust, so why tinker with it and possibly spoil the excellent aeros they have?

Zoe

#8 Jecko

Jecko

• 3,499 posts

Posted 30 September 1999 - 22:00

I'm not convinced that a top exhaust system would provide better handling. In many races the Ferrari always looked quite unstable. Especially coming out of the corners. Ofcourse there are many other factors to consider such as setup etc. But if it's suposed to give better handling in the rear it doesn't appear to be doing a very good job.

Cheers
Jecko

#9 Christiaan

Christiaan
  • Tech Forum Host

• 1,834 posts

Posted 30 September 1999 - 23:21

Jecko, go to http://www.atlasf1.c...TML/000023.html
for an arguement of the aeros