Photo

Adrian Newey

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John B

John B

• 7,924 posts

Posted 13 October 1999 - 07:14

AN has had a lot of success with Williams and McLaren. What is his specialty, or 'unfair advantage' in race car design (I realize he's had the benefit of Renault and Mercedes power)?

Advertisement

#2 BADGER

BADGER

• 142 posts

Posted 14 October 1999 - 00:04

I think that he is a degreed aerospace engineer who gathered a lot of experience early in his career. I think he was still in his 20's when he was put in charge of designing March Indycars. The March 86C was the car that got him noticed because it was much better than the competition at that time. Historically, he has not been afraid to experiment aerodynamically and this is what I believe is his greatest strength. He is also supposed to be a good manager of others and when you put it all in one package, you get the best designer in world.

#3 Christiaan

Christiaan
  • Tech Forum Host

• 1,834 posts

Posted 15 October 1999 - 16:10

My former flatmate was a former aerospace engineer (now she is medical doctor!). I tried to ask her for info to write a program for calculating the Cd value of a any profile. We tried and failed to get accurate results (within 5%) and she said its because complex objects require experience to analyse. This is why cars still go in the wind tunnel, because they are some things which simply do not have a formula (yet). She worked as an engineer for 1yr at Daimler Chrysler and she said that the consensis was that Newey has the ability to see the big picture in aerodynamics. Which is why his car is reported to be unaffected (handling wise) with low or high downforce setups.