• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smarty

smarty

• 1,910 posts

Posted 19 October 1999 - 01:08

Does it?
When? Always?
Is it possible to turn it on and off remotely?
Is it possible to hide it from the scrutineers?

Thanks for the answers.

Advertisement

#2 HartleyHare

HartleyHare

• 1,388 posts

Posted 19 October 1999 - 01:42

Certain kinds of TC use the rear brakes to moderate spin - when wheelspin is detected, the brake is automatically applied. These carbon brakes glow when used due to the high temperatures involved.

However, there are more subtle means of preventing wheelspin which do not cause brake discs to glow, such as clever engine mapping that detects engine acceleration and cuts power accordingly.

The engine map TC could be hidden (by use of self modifying code) in certain circumstances.

#3 DangerMouse

DangerMouse

• 2,628 posts

Posted 20 October 1999 - 10:48

Indeed HH, in a perfect (F1) world they should pass a regulation that stipulates that the throttle pedal must connect to the throttle bodies by a cable! - no electronics.

Also RAM (random access memory) of any sort should be banned in EMS's (engine management systems) and the EMS itself held in PROMS (not EPROMS or FLASH chips) this would stop self modifying code as well as override programmes being loaded up which delete themselves when the engine is killed.

Simple changes and easy to inforce.

#4 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 20 October 1999 - 17:46

Basically I agree that ECUs with no reprogrammable / rewritable memory would be best to check the software that was actually used during an event, however I doubt that anyone will agree to implement it. Just imagine the pace with which the software is being updated, you'd be having a problem by using EPROMs, because you'd have to dismantle the ECU just to do a firmware upgrade!

I have a strong suspicion that most of the major teams (i.e. those with a factory engine) use software that does more than just control the engine! Especially the field of ignition timing, fuel mixture settings, throttle delay, downshifting throttle blipping provides ample opportunities to, letsay, implement the regulations creatively!

Zoe

#5 Christiaan

Christiaan
  • Tech Forum Host

• 1,834 posts

Posted 20 October 1999 - 18:02

I posted a bloody lond explanation on this on Frans green disk thread. Now I can't find it :( When I get the time I will redo it.