four wheels turning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 engin

engin

• 340 posts

Posted 10 November 1999 - 08:23

hello

i was thinking of this the four wheels turning while you trun the steering wheel i mean the two front tires and the two rear ones i think it will give the car more stability but is it going to make the car faster or what and is it possible

your thoughts if you dont mind

thanx .

Advertisement

#2 PDA

PDA

• 1,017 posts

Posted 10 November 1999 - 08:36

You may remember that the Maclaren "fiddle" brake, which selectively applied braking to a single rear wheel on demand, was banned by the Stewards at the Brazilian GP because they decided that its primary function was to induce rear wheel steering. F1 regulations do not allow more than 2 wheels to be steered, so from an F1 point of view, your question is redundant.

#3 BADGER

BADGER

• 142 posts

Posted 11 November 1999 - 01:12

I seem to recall that Benneton was working on some sort of four wheel steering during the "fully active" years. I think the year was 1994 but I'm not sure. I don't know if they used it in a race but I do remember that they were developing it. The possible advantage to four wheel steering was that you could enhance turn in upon corner entry, yet give increase stability through the midde of the corner.

#4 Number6

Number6

• 6 posts

Posted 11 November 1999 - 06:39

The turning of rear wheels to different direction from the front wheels would produce a huge oversteering, very useful in slow corners. Do not try the same in fast corners!!!

#5 Number6

Number6

• 6 posts

Posted 11 November 1999 - 06:47

But after all, technically that would be impossible because steering system is far too hard to clinch to rear wheels (I just think so, but who knows!!!) And we would need a torque-proof thing (I dont know how to call it in english, sorry :) in the rear axle which would weigh a little bit too much. But let Ross Brawn think more on this thing, he might be able to do it and even legally!!!

#6 Harpo

Harpo

• 1 posts

Posted 12 November 1999 - 08:35

In the late eighties, several japanese manufacturers developed four wheel steering systems. I believe Nissan's HICAS system worked with an initial "opposite phase" with the rear wheels turning in the direction opposite to the front. This induced turn-in, then went on to steer the rear wheels, "in phase" in the same direction as the fronts. Honda's first system was interesting in that it was a completely mechanical system that based the in or counter phase steering of the rear wheels based on the degree of angular rotation of the steering wheel.