Photo

Power-steering

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FordFan

FordFan

• 3,539 posts

Posted 17 December 1999 - 02:08

Irvine reported having a little difficulty with the Jaguar, because it lacks the power steering the Ferrari does. Does anyone have any info regarding how many teams use power steering and to what degree?

It seems to me that at such speeds F1 cars run, power-steering could be dangerous, as there is less play in the steering wheel (at least, that's my experience with road cars). Can you vary the power assist to the steering with the speed of the car?

Advertisement

#2 Hooster

Hooster

• 1,476 posts

Posted 17 December 1999 - 03:35

I think everyone uses power steering. The difference may be that Ferrari's is electrically assisted while the Stuart could be using hydraulic assistance. Am I right, or completely wrong? I hope some techno wizard knows the real answer to this one.

#3 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 17 December 1999 - 03:41

Don't know about that, but I do know that some teams don't use them because of the cost? and the weight.

#4 Admiral

Admiral

• 59 posts

Posted 17 December 1999 - 07:30

I remember hearing about this time last year that the new F399 was going to have some sort of electronic steering system. No idea how it works though, but if you remember back to the first race in Australia, Schumacher had an electrical problem with the steering and had to stop for a new steering wheel. Same thing happened in France.

#5 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 17 December 1999 - 18:25

Maybe fly-by-wyre steering?? Can't be I think, but who am I? The car seemed to steer well in Australia and france, I think something wen't wrong with changing gears??

#6 Christiaan

Christiaan
  • Tech Forum Host

• 1,834 posts

Posted 17 December 1999 - 18:43

If I remember correctly the Williams that Senna died in had power steering which could be switched on and off by the driver

#7 Ursus

Ursus

• 2,411 posts

Posted 17 December 1999 - 18:57

I would guess Ferrari uses electric powersteering. It is probably lighter and you don't have to rout hyraulic lines to the front of the car. It is also easier to control the assistingforce if you want speed sensitive powersteering.

------------------
Ursus
Trust me, send money.

#8 Fritz

Fritz

• 33 posts

Posted 17 December 1999 - 21:26

Do they use fly-by-wire steering? In that case they would need force feedback and what about the extra weight to install the very fast actuators which would be needed? I know they use fly-by-wire throttles and brakes (very much restricted by the technical rules) but I doubt about the steering...