Photo

What's Up?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:54

I've just logged on and find there're NO new posts for today; today being 15 May where I am.
Nevertheless, latest posts are all 'yesterday' and were so read.
Next most recent was 12 May.

I'm not a technical person so am unable to further the cause, however since someONE left posts have seemed a bit sparse. (Some other names have dropped off too but not bothered by their MIA).

Advertisement

#2 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:44

I haven't kept a log, but surely this is not so uncommon? I've often opened the Forum to find no new posts (for half a day, at least) and it's cheered me up to think that by far the most posters here have got proper jobs. And since someONE left, others, such as Fat Boy, have reappeared...

#3 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,677 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:12

I want someONE back, even if he often was an ******* he usually was a funny and clever *******.

#4 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:48

I want someONE back, even if he often was an ******* he usually was a funny and clever *******.

I've just realized which someONE you meant! I thought you meant another someONE - I agree, sad times...

#5 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,635 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:53

Apparently, Jaguar sixes and continuously variable transmissions are extremely popular topics, as they drive up the post count almost exponentially.

#6 Kelpiecross

Kelpiecross

• 1,730 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:49

I've just realized which someONE you meant! I thought you meant another someONE - I agree, sad times...

I am not totally sure who is being referred to either.

If it is Cheapy - I think there is one sure way to get him back - discuss (criticise) his Cheapracer car - he'll probably return under a different name or through someone else.

His front suspension, although clever and interesting, would be very expensive and probably have a lot of development headaches - totally against the low-cost idea of the project.
The chassis - why copy the the Atom chassis - it's pretty crappy anyhow.

A real "Cheapracer" probably should be like a typical clubman-style car - front engine/RWD with suspension components etc. from easily-available road cars.

At the incredibly cheap "Chinese" prices it could be a really cheap "Cheapracer".

#7 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,596 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:55

His front suspension, although clever and interesting, would be very expensive

I think the beam axle would be marginally cheaper.

A real "Cheapracer" probably should be like a typical clubman-style car - front engine/RWD with suspension components etc. from easily-available road cars.

Transaxle drivetrains from FWD donors are far more plentiful.

I know you are just being negative in an attempt to entice the little fella out of his lair but I couldn't help myself.

Come back Cheapy - we love you! :cry:

#8 Kelpiecross

Kelpiecross

• 1,730 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 13:42

I think the beam axle would be marginally cheaper.

Compared to a specially-fabricated front suspension. Using road car components from a wrecker might be almost free by comparison.

Transaxle drivetrains from FWD donors are far more plentiful.

True enough (except for Falcon and Commodore stuff). I have something of a set against bum-heavy cars - and I think it would be very difficult to make a rear-engined car using FWD components that wasn't dangerous.

I have to admit that what I described might be cheap and straightforward to make - but it does sound pretty boring.

I know you are just being negative in an attempt to entice the little fella out of his lair but I couldn't help myself.

Yes - an attempt to get the horrible little bastard out of his cave.

Come back Cheapy - we love you! :cry:

#9 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:25

:up: for all of you :wave: