Photo

New Rollhoops

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 baddog

baddog

• 29,533 posts

Posted 02 February 2000 - 05:31

This already came up in 'another place' but here it might actually get discussed

The triangular airscoop on the new jordan seems to imply a straight sided triangular rollhoop.

Theres an obvious concern/question about the aerodynamic properties of this, sharp corners being something you dont often see on f1 cars these days, but what about the strength/safety implications? would such a carbon fibre triangle be, as it seems to the layman, stronger than a curved hoop, or weaker due to the corner providing a weak spot in the material?

Are jordan sacrificing aerodynamic efficieny for driver safety, or vice-versa? or none of the above...

Shaun

Advertisement

#2 Christiaan

Christiaan
  • Tech Forum Host

• 1,834 posts

Posted 02 February 2000 - 19:03

As I remember, carbon fibre is moulded, not formed like a metal. This means that a corner will have the same grain properties is a round section. So with regards to strength I don't see that as much of an issue.

With regards to the rollhoop I don't see that as an issue either because if I am correct the rollhoop is actually a metal substructure inside the carbon fibre scoop. If this is so then the new Jordan is safer simply because triangles are the strongest shapes known to man.

#3 HK

HK

• 197 posts

Posted 06 February 2000 - 21:00

what about hexagones and eggs... e.g. beryllium has a hexagonal crystal structure.