Photo

question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JayWay

JayWay

• 11,618 posts

Posted 16 February 2000 - 07:03

Heres another simple question about cars that i need ansewred.

What is displacment? And what does the "cc" mean when the amount is being quoted.

Ah, and another one, when I hear people talking about engines I always here them talking about how many cylinders the engine has..Stupid quetion..Whats a cylinder?

Advertisement

#2 Paste

Paste

• 5,766 posts

Posted 16 February 2000 - 07:17

I can answer a couple of those..

CC stands for Cubic Centimetres. When you take the volume of an area, say a cube, your measurement comes out to x units^3 (where the ^ denotes an exponent). Basic high school geometry there. So, I'm pretty sure that CC is the volume of the engine.

A cylinder is the part of the engine which the piston runs through. You have a connecting rod going to your piston, on a pivot. Your piston and cylinder create a very good seal, compressing the air at the top of the piston stroke, with the spark plug then igniting the compressed gas/air.

Hope that helps.. :)

------------------
AtlasF1 Test Time Competition

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 16 February 2000 - 07:36

Simply, the displacement or capacity of an engine is the volume of fluid displaced by the pistons as they travel through their full stroke during.
In a single-cylinder engine the displacement of cylinder is simply the area of the bore in square centimetres (cm2) multiplied by the length of the stroke in centimetres. Then you have cubic centimetres (cm3). In a multi-cylinder engine, multiply the individual cylinder capacities by the number of cylinders.
The cylinders are the round holes in the block that the pistons run in.

#4 JayWay

JayWay

• 11,618 posts

Posted 16 February 2000 - 08:12

Aright, tks! :)

#5 Art

Art

• 552 posts

Posted 16 February 2000 - 08:52

Ray Bell.

What are you running a Bilg pump?

Art

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 16 February 2000 - 09:46

No, a school, and I'll gladly take or give lessons. The only single cylinder stuff around here is the lawnmower. Briggs AND Stratton. (Remember that line from The Blues Brothers - What kind of music? We have both, Country AND Western.

#7 Art

Art

• 552 posts

Posted 16 February 2000 - 09:56

Ray Bell.

If I'm not being to personal what kind of work do you do?

Art

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 17 February 2000 - 08:08

Mostly I write about motor racing, and edit a motor racing newsletter. That's all in the 'introductions' thread on the Nostalgia Forum, I think. Can't wait till you email me.