Photo

Helmets: Movable aerodynamic devices? Could be

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jhope

Jhope

• 9,440 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 14:23

In recent years, we have seen formula one drivers helmets sprout little bits and pieces here and there.The first case i believe was Micheal Shumacher in the middle of the 1996 season. The supposed aim of these bits and pieces, was to stabalize the drivers head from moving around in the cockpit. In other words, downforce on the driver. Now, some of these look more likely to help air flow around the drivers head and cockpit as well as into the air intake above the drivers head. In all, to just get clean air around that area without wind buffetting. Now under some article written up by the FIA, it is forbidden to have any moving aerodynamic parts on the car.

We can argue over this one for a while. Is the driver technically part of the car while strapped in, or is he just someone along for the ride. This is a touchy subject i'll let all of you discuss for a while. Let's try and come up with a conclusion on this one.

Advertisement

#2 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 28,266 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 14:34

I assume the driver and his protective equipment are outside the scope of the technical regs of the car.

#3 Janzen

Janzen

• 238 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 15:42

Then again when strapped in he is very much a part of the car. Take for example the case of how some teams have adopted a very "low position" for the driver.
How much the small winglets on the helmet would help is ofcourse hard to prove and then there is the new 10mm tolerence. They could just say it is a design flaw as they had problems making a round helmet.

#4 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 28,266 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 15:58

If the pilot is part of the car, then I assume his lungs would fall under the definition of movable aerodynamic devices.

"Scalpel"

#5 BRG

BRG

• 25,672 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 00:15

The snag here is that if the helmet is counted as part of the car, then both drivers would have to have the same helmet livery. Otherwise, like BAR last year, you would be running different liveries on each car and Max’n’Bernie don’t like that and will fine you huge amounts for bringing the sport into disrepute ;)

------------------
BRG

"all the time, maximum attack"

#6 Ursus

Ursus

• 2,411 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 00:45

Just to play along: A helmet need not to have any winglets or have a funny shape to be considered a moveable aerodynamic device. It's hanging out in the breeze aand moves so all helmets are moveable aero devs. :) Perhaps the helmet should be fixed to the cockpit sides? :)

------------------
Ursus
Trust me, send money.

#7 Art

Art

• 552 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 01:02

My argument would be that they are safety devices. To keep wind buffeting from breaking the drivers neck.

Art NX3L

#8 Limey

Limey

• 122 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 01:24

There is nothing in the FIA regulations pertaining to shape. There is a maximum weight and requirement to meet Snell Foundation or equivalent standards.

#9 bigblue

bigblue

• 1,300 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 22:34

Good question. Do the teams test in the wind tunnel with a helmet/driver/dummy in the car. It must change something when one is there or not there.

------------------
Done with the big teams, GO MINARDI!!!