Evacuation Alert!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 28,266 posts

Posted 15 March 2000 - 15:39

How about drawing intake air for the engine from the underside of the car to partially evacuate it? If one assumes VE of 100%, the engine is drawing 450 liters/sec of air at 18k rpm. Might cost some horsepower, to be sure. Even without skirts to hold the low pressure air in, it might be worth it in lap speeds.

Advertisement

#2 Nathan

Nathan

• 6,242 posts

Posted 15 March 2000 - 16:34

The air is much more dirty and turbulent down there. However this has been my "big" idea for a number of years now...and is the first time I have told anyone else. Im sure this has been tried before. I have only seen this style of design used once, that was on the 95 Jordan. I havent seen it since3, so my guess is it doesnt work:

Bring the side pods closer and lower to the front suspension and place the radiator inlets low and under the cockpit. Why not wrap the inlet around the side and below the cockpit? This allows the air going under the cockpit to be directed away from going under the car and into the rads which would bve in the same location as now, my guess is this will helper underbody aerodynamics be allowing less air to go under the car.

Any responses to this idea???

#3 Art

Art

• 552 posts

Posted 16 March 2000 - 05:40

Desmo.

At 450/liters of air a second you have created one hell of a vacuum cleaner. Marbles from the tires,dirt,rocks and god help a trip through the gravel trap. If you didn't break every valve have pity on the guy behind you. As you would be driving a 4 wheel high speed Gatling Gun.

Art NX3L

#4 Art

Art

• 552 posts

Posted 16 March 2000 - 06:19

Oh.

And when it rained it would look like a couple of fire hoses aimed out the back.

Art NX3L

#5 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 28,266 posts

Posted 16 March 2000 - 07:47

Can't a guy put a slightly nutty idea up on this board and not get it shot down? ;-)

Seriousy, Art I'm afraid you raise some good objections, still...

#6 Art

Art

• 552 posts

Posted 16 March 2000 - 08:42

Desmo.

Isn't that the name of the game? Come up with a great idea and let every one butcher it! Sorry about that!

Art NX3L