Photo

Info on 8/70 LC XU-1 sponsored by Peter Robinson Motors, Lilydale Vic.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 mikecatts

mikecatts

• 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 19:34

Hi all.

Im new to this site.. Looks nice and full of info..

Im needing some help tracking some history of a Adelaide built 19/8/70 LC XU-1.

It was first registered to Peter Robinson Motors on 28/8/70 and then sold 12.70... Rego number is VIC KRT340, Rally Red. 

It has the engine number on the GMH Production VIN sheets and was made with in a batch of 10 cars.. Out of that batch, only 2 had the engine numbers recorded, ending in 86 then 87.. built same day, ALL numbers are one off...

Im wondering if this was a dealer demo or his teams race car?????

Being the first run of the first 300, they would have been a hot, sort after item if you were racing.

It was raced, suspect rally or rally cross as it has damage/gravel from that sort of racing..IE: roll bar mounts, damage, fuel tank, etc.. lots of differnt paint, gravel in all the nooks and crannies.

It had a MAJOR hit on the LH front side at some stage very early in its life..... 

It has a LOT of yellow painted over the original red and then some light blue/black over the yellow then back to red.

Peter Robinson was into motor sport and Im sure he sponsered Tony Niovanni. I have found info on T Niovanni (pics, results) on his 1973 + carrier, but nothing any earlier..T Niovanni also drove with Rod McRae.

Peter Robinson became Noel Dight then later Heritage Holden.

Rally Cars and Hill Climb Cars and Rally Cross Cars never had a CAMS Log Book.

I have searched freedom of info VIC roads, AOMC check, etc etc..

It would be nice to put this car to the correct driver/team/racers.....

Can any one dirrect me in the right direction or help with info.

any help would be very nice as it would be great to put this car to its correct history.

some onfo on 1970 rally..

found this from "history of the Australian Rally Championship.
Rounds:
Eureka (VIC)
Blue Ribbon (VIC)
Snowy (NSW)
Cambridge Toyota (SA)
Warana (Qld)

Drivers:
1: Bob Watson (VIC)
2: Colin Bond (NSW)
3: Mal McPherson (VIC)
4: Tony Roberts (VIC)
5: Stewart McLeod (SA)
6: Peter Robertson    

Thanks in advance

Mike

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 21:26

Mike, I'll try to remember to look up Racing Car News from the period when I get home...

Very often in those early times cars raced simply as they came ex-factory, just a few bits and pieces signwritten on them.

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,682 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 22:28

Please excuse this ignorant Pom, but what  in the name of creation is an

"LC XU-1" ?.

Edited by D-Type, 27 March 2016 - 22:29.

#4 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 10,962 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 22:33

AFAIK all vehicles competing under CAMS had log books. They defenitly did by the mid 70s.

Many Toranas were rallied and a few did rallycross too. Though a lot were just thrashed around the countryside too.

The rollcage bolt holes though and evidence of gravel and stone damage plus rough repairs and a lot of paint repairs lends itself for use as a rally car.

I am not aware of any rallies that were not CAMS events.

Dealers often did sponsor and sometimes supply cars. Usually sell the car then give some financial and parts back up.

XU1s too tended to be registered by dealers as weekend toys for management . Then sold as demos. They were fairly hard to get for smaller dealers.

Being 8/70 it would have been a Opel box car, only the real late LCs had the M21. That batch may have been all 'Bathurst XU1s' with the XH cam etc and 1 3/4 carbs.

#5 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 10,962 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 22:41

Please excuse this ignorant Pom, but what  in the name of creation is an

"LC XU-1" ?.

A HC Viva built a 1000% better with in that case at least a 160hp triple carb 186 engine. LC Torana 6 used the base HC body with stronger chassis rails and suspension pickups. The front sheet metal was extended forwards. All suspension, was far bigger and stronger. The XU1 was the best performer with the trpiple carb 186. Base engine was 2250cc, middle engine was 2600 with the GTR version a 2600S which was higher compression and 2bbl carb and headers. GTR Version pictured. XU1 had a rear spoiler and less choice of color!015.jpg

#6 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 10,962 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 22:49

Rally drivers;

Bob Watson and Colin Bond both drove for HDT. Bob in Victorian rounds only I think.

Tony Roberts from memory drove both HDT and privateer cars.

Stewart McLeod was a privateer, his City State rally team were though very proffesional. And did rally prep for other competitors also.

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 14:46

Niovanni was in a GTR at the end of 1970...

Thus far I've found no mention of him in '70 or '71 in an XU-1.

#8 mikecatts

mikecatts

• 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 20:27

Mike, I'll try to remember to look up Racing Car News from the period when I get home...

Very often in those early times cars raced simply as they came ex-factory, just a few bits and pieces signwritten on them.

Thanks heaps.. looking forward to seeing what you can findout..

Niovanni was in a GTR at the end of 1970...

Thus far I've found no mention of him in '70 or '71 in an XU-1.

Thanks for that.. Did Peter Robinson Motors sponser that GTR?

And

What about Peter Robinson himself, any info/pics of him racing???

I searched all the forums/sites, autopics etc and nothing.

Thanks again.

Mike

#9 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,746 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:39

My dad worked for Peter Robinson Motors at Lilydale between 1962 and 1971 in the service department and used car sales. Before moving on to Neil Neilson in Ferntree Gully. An uncle also worked there briefly when the HK Monaro was released. He sold off their demo 186S Monaro IIRC. Unfortunately neither are still here to quiz.

Peter Robinson Motors was on the site that now has the Lilydale Fiat & Chrysler dealer showroom and the used car yard ended up being where Maccas now is. That had been the Lilydale morgue site until Peter Robinson purchased it. I remember dad saying years ago, that in the very early days of PRM taking over the site the morgue was used for office and storage space until a purpose built used car sales office was built .I also have a hazy memory of dad telling me about 'testing' XU1's out towards Coldstream and going past police at over 85mph.

Since starting this message, I've rung another of dad's brothers and he recalls my dad inviting 'Pop' and 3 brothers to view the first batch of XU1's Peter Robinson's recieved prior to offical release. Unfortunately Barry has no recall of the specific car's or the actual date this happened.

Barry does recall Peter Robinson was heavily involved with Kilsyth Football Club, probably president. He also recalls PR had spent a lot on renovations that ultimately brought him undone, IIRC around 1978/79.is when Noel Dight took over.

As a kid I have some recollection of going to a place right at the main roundabout in Montrose that was where PR may have resided at the time. I was car crazy from a young age, but don't recall any racing or rallying activity. Not impossible, but suspect sponsorship of someone else would be the more likely scenario. Which in reaity probably meant trade discount on parts for a bit of signage on the car. One should also remember when that took place the XU1 may have even been a few years old.

The Victorian-based 'Historic Rally Association' might be a good start point to see if anyone of their members recall your car.

Stephen

#10 mikecatts

mikecatts

• 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 21:29

Thanks for that Stephen.. any info is welcome..

Pitty they passed as they would have been a wealth of info..

Keep any info comming.

Thanks again

Mike..

#11 mikecatts

mikecatts

• 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 22:31

Hi all.. some more info found....

"

Neil Beer is the man you need to talk to

He was the used car  salesman in the 70 and 80s

He may know about the car on the showroom floor ?????

He is the  current owner and dealer principal of the Seymour dealership ring them and see if you can speak to him

ASK HIM ABOUT WHOM WAS THE NEW CAR DEALER SALESMAN AS HE WOULD KNOW ?

MAY BE STILL ALIVE AND WELL  . WE DON’T KNOW "

#12 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 10,962 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 22:40

Hi all.. some more info found....

"

Neil Beer is the man you need to talk to

He was the used car  salesman in the 70 and 80s

He may know about the car on the showroom floor ?????

He is the  current owner and dealer principal of the Seymour dealership ring them and see if you can speak to him

ASK HIM ABOUT WHOM WAS THE NEW CAR DEALER SALESMAN AS HE WOULD KNOW ?

MAY BE STILL ALIVE AND WELL  . WE DON’T KNOW "

Neil Beer was the Holden dealer in Seymour, at least late 90s as he sponsored Tony Hubbards Commodore Sports Sedan in that period.

Tony is retired now but still in the Seymour area so he MAY be able to put you on too him.

Country dealers and salespeople in those days seemed to be around a lot longer in the industry than now.

#13 Jager

Jager

• 443 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 19:01

There is picture of Tony Niovani in a white 'Peter Robinson' sponsored XU1 taken at Calder in 1972 on the Autopics website :

http://autopics.com....u1-calder-1972/

#14 Librules

Librules

• 242 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:05

Same sponsor, but I doubt it's the same car.  It's an LJ for starters and the rego is from the 71/72 era (back when cars were re-registered far less often)

#15 mikecatts

mikecatts

• 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 20:38

Thanks Jager.... I didnt have that pic..

Librules is correct.. Mine is a LC....

Keep the info comming.. getting there.

I contacted the SA rego and thay have not got any records from SA rego data base....

#16 mikecatts

mikecatts

• 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 20:25

Hi all... Have found some more info.. I have been in contact with Neil beer... He says that he didnt start at Peter Robinson Motors until 1973... He has confimed that Tony Niovanni was sponsored by him..

He says to contact this guy John Worlley of Croydon.

Does any one know of him?

Mike

#17 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,746 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:30

www.whitepages.com.au is your friend. There's a candidate, but I'm not about to show it here.

Stephen

#18 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 10,962 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:42

Same sponsor, but I doubt it's the same car.  It's an LJ for starters and the rego is from the 71/72 era (back when cars were re-registered far less often)

A lot of LCs were converted to LJ in those days. Not many converted the dash though. eg LC dash LJ with 202 motor. XA Falcons that went through the XA XB & XC days.

#19 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 10,962 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:49

Thanks Jager.... I didnt have that pic..

Librules is correct.. Mine is a LC....

Keep the info comming.. getting there.

I contacted the SA rego and thay have not got any records from SA rego data base....

What was the SA rego no? I have some old Giant Killer mags here with some of the privateers pictured. Stewart McLeods cars in particular.

Advertisement

#20 Librules

Librules

• 242 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:10

I don't think there's any suggestion that this car was converted form LC to LJ and then back to LC, Lee.....    Also, I don't see any suggestion it had SA reg at any stage.

#21 mikecatts

mikecatts

• 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 21:47

I don't think there's any suggestion that this car was converted form LC to LJ and then back to LC, Lee.....    Also, I don't see any suggestion it had SA reg at any stage.

No converssion.. Is the real deal LC GTR XU-1... It has got current SA rego with a 1972 plate... I forget the number. when I get home ill post it.. and thanks all for the input.

#22 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 10,962 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:14

The reg no you emailed me is a late 72 early 73 number.

It may well have been a privateer here but not Mcleod.

I was never really around the rally scene, a friend who was vaguely remembers a red Torana in the day in state rounds. LC LJ? He cannot remember.

There was an red LC rallied early 90s in SA rounds. XU1? probably not. He was though better performed than many more modern cars. Wally ?? and worked in the wrecking industry.

#23 mikecatts

mikecatts

• 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 23:32

The reg no you emailed me is a late 72 early 73 number.

It may well have been a privateer here but not Mcleod.

I was never really around the rally scene, a friend who was vaguely remembers a red Torana in the day in state rounds. LC LJ? He cannot remember.

There was an red LC rallied early 90s in SA rounds. XU1? probably not. He was though better performed than many more modern cars. Wally ?? and worked in the wrecking industry.

Thanks for the input... any pics????

#24 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 10,962 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:58

Thanks for the input... any pics????

Naah, never took pics in those days. 

Looking at the 74 Giant Killers mag the Mcleod LJ XU1 was RYB***. This in 73 where it was a new car.

#25 Musicroolsman

Musicroolsman

• 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 12:04

Hi all... Have found some more info.. I have been in contact with Neil beer... He says that he didnt start at Peter Robinson Motors until 1973... He has confimed that Tony Niovanni was sponsored by him..

He says to contact this guy John Worlley of Croydon.

Does any one know of him?

Mike

Hello there i hope you still around to read this message... I worked at Peter Robinson Motors from about 1968 to 1971 roundabout?

Memories a little hazy these days. I spent about three plus years at PRM and was the "parts and lunch boy" with some minor mechanical jobs thrown in.

I began in the used car yard across the road from the showroom site and eventually moved to where Maccas is now.

That's where i met John Worlley and remember him because was a nice guy. He pointed out a nice white EH sedan and said that's the car for you Rudy.

John Worlley sold me that EH.

I left PRM around 1971/72 and believe John W. went to a Ford dealership? I tried to find John Worlley through white pages but that failed.

Many people i've known have sadly passed on and would be nice to have a last time yarn with people not forgotten.

Noel Fermanis was the boss of used car sales when i began, Ken Mawson was head mechanic i think and Danny Tabbachira was a mechanic.

George Bertram was a panel-beater along with Peter Nardello the spraypainter. Jimmy Onus became the latest runaround boy and i became a detailer.

Anyhow i hope this little bit of nostalgia reaches some eyes. I went by the first name Rudy in those days. Cheers from big ears...

#26 Musicroolsman

Musicroolsman

• 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 12:21

My dad worked for Peter Robinson Motors at Lilydale between 1962 and 1971 in the service department and used car sales. Before moving on to Neil Neilson in Ferntree Gully. An uncle also worked there briefly when the HK Monaro was released. He sold off their demo 186S Monaro IIRC. Unfortunately neither are still here to quiz.

Peter Robinson Motors was on the site that now has the Lilydale Fiat & Chrysler dealer showroom and the used car yard ended up being where Maccas now is. That had been the Lilydale morgue site until Peter Robinson purchased it. I remember dad saying years ago, that in the very early days of PRM taking over the site the morgue was used for office and storage space until a purpose built used car sales office was built .I also have a hazy memory of dad telling me about 'testing' XU1's out towards Coldstream and going past police at over 85mph.

Since starting this message, I've rung another of dad's brothers and he recalls my dad inviting 'Pop' and 3 brothers to view the first batch of XU1's Peter Robinson's recieved prior to offical release. Unfortunately Barry has no recall of the specific car's or the actual date this happened.

Barry does recall Peter Robinson was heavily involved with Kilsyth Football Club, probably president. He also recalls PR had spent a lot on renovations that ultimately brought him undone, IIRC around 1978/79.is when Noel Dight took over.

As a kid I have some recollection of going to a place right at the main roundabout in Montrose that was where PR may have resided at the time. I was car crazy from a young age, but don't recall any racing or rallying activity. Not impossible, but suspect sponsorship of someone else would be the more likely scenario. Which in reaity probably meant trade discount on parts for a bit of signage on the car. One should also remember when that took place the XU1 may have even been a few years old.

The Victorian-based 'Historic Rally Association' might be a good start point to see if anyone of their members recall your car.

Stephen

Hello there. The used car yard used to be across the road from the main showroom when i worked for PRM back in 1968 i believe for about three + years. Not sure what year but the used car yard moved to where Maccas is now. I'll mention a couple of things...I remember going to Peter Robinson's property once and he had renovations happening there. I thought it was Wandin area but i remember seeing a massive hole being dug and was going to be a wine cellar. I'm not sure if that's correct and i thought it was going to be an underground garage. lol There was a salesman by the name of John Worlley at the "maccas site" and one day he sent me down to main showroom to get the XU1 he had use of for the night or weekend. There used to be a gravel road that led from the corner petrol station to the used car site and after i filled it up turned onto the gravel and ended up going sideways down the bloody road. Just a great memory and that was my first and last time i drove an XU1. I was about 20 years old when left PRM and my first name then was "Rudy" My tasks were detailing/minor mechanical jobs and being a general nuisance. LOL Cheers and hope you get to read this post. Cheers from big ears.

#27 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,746 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 04:02

Rudy, welcome... you might recall my late dad and my uncle. Dad (Sam Dalton) as previously noted at Peter Robinson's from around 1962 to 1971 when he moved to Neil Neilson Holden at Ferntree Gully. Mainly workshop related, but did a stint as used car sales, although didn't like the pressure of closing deals to people who clearly couldn't afford it. So got out of sales. That was on the site you mention but far enough back that it was when Robbo purchased the site after its previous 'life' had ceased.

My uncle, John Dalton was in new car sales for a short stint around the HK Monaro release.

IIRC Peter Robinson's property was not that far up from Maroondah Hwy, along Warburton Hwy, but also recall a property near the roundabout at Montrose. Although I was a little kid at the time.

Stephen