Did Ferrari dislike the Sharknose ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,540 posts

Posted 26 April 2001 - 06:28

This may seem a strange title for a thread but the question arises thus;

On Ferrari's very extensive website there is a feature called the 'timeline', wherein the surfer can move through the years and find out details of the F1 cars. It is from this feature that I learned the size of the D.50.

Moving through the years I came to 1961. When the car type is clicked, an image of that car appears. Right, I thought, I wonder if they will have a sharknose picture I have never seen? Quite possible because the D50 picture is a lovely one of the car turning into the hairpin at Syracuse, followed by a Maserati (I think).

So what picture would you guess they would use? Von Trips splashing through the Aintree puddles; Hill sweeping through the curves at Spa; Ginther in his vain chase of SM at Monaco; even dear old Baghetti nicking Reims off Dan? Well, chaps, you'd be WRONG. They have chose.... Willy Mairesse in the experimental car that was sharknose from the cockpit back but had a conventional front. The car is wearing #4, which will give those with nothing better to do a chance to say where it is and when. There is no background visible, but the angle of the car looks like the entrance to the Parabolica to me.

Anyway, given what happened in 1961 (have Ferrari EVER dominated more? Well, yes, I suppose with Ascari!) I find it very odd that this is the picture they choose to use to illustrate the 156.

Advertisement

#2 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,365 posts

Posted 26 April 2001 - 10:59

Barry, How very strange. I'd heard of the great man's predisposition to trashing his racing cars after their use by dates, but I was unaware that his influence reached beyond the grave into cyberspace.

Love the images of '61 you evoke. If I were to select a picture epitomising the 156's domination in 1961, I guess it would have to be Spa ... perhaps Hill, Von Tips, Ginther and Gendebien sweeping in line through Burnenville.

BTW, loved the splash page so much, I instantly downloaded it and installed it as my wallpaper!

Vanwall

#3 bobbo

bobbo

• 841 posts

Posted 26 April 2001 - 12:52

Barry:

At least someone liked the Sharknose enough to copy it. Check out the 1962 ENB-Maserati, Lucien Bianchi at the 'Ring. :D

Bobbo

#4 Gil Bouffard

Gil Bouffard

• 597 posts

Posted 26 April 2001 - 15:04

Barry,

The Old man considered the "defection" of Designer Carlo Chiti and the bunch to be a traitorous act. He refused to recognize the car's design and accomplishments. Research reveals that rather than defection, the incident was a palace coup by some well placed "insiders." Apparently, Ferrari knew nothing about the coup and believed his advisers.

Gil

#5 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 26 April 2001 - 18:34

Gil is absolutely correct. In Graham Gauld's "Modena Racing Memories", I believe the full story is told. Regardless, if it
was here I read it or in another Graham Gauld story...I'm not
sure. Regardless, read this book and you can understand how this
all happened.

#6 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 26 April 2001 - 18:56

This was also the last F1 Ferrari to carry the "Dino" name.

#7 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,465 posts

Posted 26 April 2001 - 22:59

I think it's history that Ferrari don't like. The picture is from 1962, not 61. It shows Bandini at the Nurburgring. I was also interested to read that 1954 was dominated by Fangio's Maserati.

#8 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 12:42

In short, the Ferrari web site is BAD!!

Bad design, bad content!