Photo

Racing nicknames?

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Allen

Jon Allen

• 238 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 14:29

Would anyone care to contribute some classic driver nicknames from the last 50 years? I'm familiar "The Professor" for Prost, and Gilles Villeneuve inspired two of the best I've heard - "Air Canada" and "The High Priest of Destruction", but there must be many others that I haven't come across.

For the record, I mean this to be a respectful thread, not a collection of derogatory epithets, although I have to admit, "Andrea de Crasheris" isn't bad.:)

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 15:12

Obviously you've heard of Black Jack, and FJ is naturally Fearless John.

I had a nice little story about nicknames in the National Historic Newsletter a few years ago, written by an old camp follower named Bob Pritchett... he's pretty old, but his memory for most of them was okay... the story was titled The Mouse Is In The Trap.

"A sephulcral voice announced this from somewhere toward the back of the assembled congregation attending the Thanksgiving Memorial service given at St Mark's, Darling Point (Sydney), for one of the Motor Racing community's favourite people, who had died in somewhat distressing circumstances some time previously.

"The Mouse (or even Mighty Mouse0 was how, to a select few of us (or so we chose to regard ourselves), Curley Brydon was known. Just about all of us were actively engaged in one way or another with motor racing in those halcyon days when people actually raced for the fun of it in cars which were not unusually their everyday transport - with mudguards, lamps, windscreens and other gear temporarily removed.

"Our Leader, probably because of his commanding presence and extensive experience in all aspects of Motor Sport, both in Australia and overseas, was The Master - John Snow - whose then-wife Betsy was, naturally enough, The Mistress.

"The Master, Mouse and The Trump (John Crouch), Damon Runyon readers all, were probably responsible between them for most of the alternative names by which people, as time went on, came to be known. In most cases these people cheerfully accepted and answered to their pseudonyms, but some of them had names which we, for reasons which will become obvious, hoped they didn't know about, and by which we would not have dreamed to address them.

"There were, for instance, Essing Jay the B (Smiling Jack the Basher), who was rumored to have chopped up his parents with an axe; The Septic Udder, whose features, we thought, looked like it; The Knife and The Sheath, a Riley driver and his much-loved second wife; Jelly Belly, and outstanding candidate for Gut Busters (but they hadn't been invented); Goose Grease Gus (probably because of his slicked-back hair?); and I'm not too certain about Toosipegs (not too certain whether he was called this to his face, that is to say). Borderline would be The Toad - Toad of Toad Hall - car dealer Jack Jeffery, who would accept his nomme de guerre without resentment from a few valued and tested friends.

"Frank Kleinig was, for obvious reasons, Dirt Track Charlie; Bill Patterson, a noted bon viveur, was Champagne Charlie; Lex Davison was the Millionaire Grazier, while Jack Murray, from his custom of blowing up outback outhouses, was universally known as Gelignite Jack.

"Sometimes occupational considerations would dictate a name - as, for instance, Trinkets Arnold Glass; sometimes it was physical characteristics, as for instance Rex Marshall (Baldy, or The Dome), Bill Reynolds (The Ziff), Brian Walker (Blackjack, subsequently Greyjack and eventually Whitejack) - the title Black Jack was inherited by (now Sir) Jack Brabham. Alf Najar was The Black Prince, Paul Samuels was (and is) Sartorial Sam, Biran Muir became Yogi Bear.

"And sometimes the names appeared to have been picked out of thin air, as for instance The Doc (Tom Lancey), The Trainer (Gordon Stewart), Scraper (Geoff Surtees, who worked for The Trainer and in due course married one of his daughters), The Professor (Tom Jemison, a noted fettler); but why call Barry Ravell The Phantom Chef?

"There were others - George Barton, who didn't practice his profession of Solicitor all that much, was George the Judge, I have heard Jack Myers referred to as The Little Master, and Backoff is very likely John Barraclough's own childish corruption of his own surname. Any suggestion that it referred to his race driving would be quite actionable. David McKay earned the title of Sir Malcolm (Campbell) very early in his racing career because of his extremely single-minded and serious approach to what was, to so many people in those happy days, more a source of enormous fun.

"I would like to acknowledge the help I had from The Trump, to say nothing of Max Stahl's contribution, stirring the turgid mud pools of memory to recall these names. Neither The Trump nor I could bring to mind what, if anything, we used to call the incomparable Alf Barrett, although it could have been Alfie; Max suggests The Master, but there was only one Master and he was John Snow."

Bob The Brain

Alf Barrett was known, to my knowledge anyway, as The Maestro... a most deserved title, apparently.

#3 David J Jones

David J Jones

• 448 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 15:22

James Shunt is one that immediately springs to mind

#4 Jon Allen

Jon Allen

• 238 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 15:31

Great stuff, thanks!:)

#5 pancho

pancho

• 95 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 16:22

Niki Lauda was known as 'the rat' during his racing days. Then, of course, there's Mike 'the bike' Hailwood, Dale Earnhardt was 'The Intimidator'. On a more recent note, Heinz-Harald Frentzen is called Harry Heinz by his peers, and Nigel Mansell gained the tag 'Il Leone' by the tifosi. I'm sure there's loads I've missed.

#6 Leif Snellman

Leif Snellman

• 1,132 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 16:56

Ayrton Senna was sometimes called "E.T."

Niki Lauda was known as "the mighty mouse"/"the rat"/"the super
rat"/"king rat" (depending on what year we are talking about of course);)

Stefan Johansson was known as "Lill Lövis" (The little leaf)

Jody Scheckter was known as "Fletcher" (sp). As far as I remember the name came from a seagull in some book I forgot the name of, that took chances and crashed over and over again.

And then we got all the nicknames from the 50s.
Here are some of them:

Chiron: "Le Vieux Renard"
Farina: "Nino"
Fangio "El Chueco"
Ascari :"Chiccio"
Bonetto: "Il Pirata"
Gonzales: "Pepe"
Villoresi: "Gigi"
De Graffenried: "Toulo"
Trintignant: "Le Petoulet"
von Trips: "Taffy"

#7 pancho

pancho

• 95 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 18:10

Mike Hawthorn..aka 'the Farnham Flyer'.

#8 Eagle104

Eagle104

• 123 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 18:34

I guess you could consider "Parnelli", too, since it is a derivation of his given middle name, Rufus Parnell Jones.

------------------------------------
"Trintignant: "Le Petoulet"

Does anyone know if Maurice had a "problem" with this?

#9 33 route d'orleans

33 route d'orleans

• 46 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 19:20

Well... regarding french boys, Henri Pescarolo was sometimes known as "Riton" and Jean-Pierre Jarier had a nickname : "Godasse de plomb", which is in english :"Lead shoe"

#10 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 19:42

I was brought up on Australian motor racing magazines in the 50s (there weren't any New Zealand ones) so got to know of Davo, Patto and others of that ilk. Not in the RBP league, I know.
As far as New Zealanders are concerned, I don't know if "The Bear" can really be described as a nickname, as I doubt if many people would have been brave enough to use it to his face.
Graham McRae's supreme self-confidence led to his being called Cassius, after the boxer Cassis "I am the greatest" Clay. That name you could use to his face, as I did in a television interview around 1970.
On a slightly OT note, some English friends still refer to Oliver Jellybean, a name they were sure they heard in Le Mans radio broadcasts when they were very young.
Oh, and getting back to the Australians, we shouldn't forget "Donkey Dick" Perkins....

#11 FLB

FLB

• 28,629 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 20:33

Early in his F1 career, Gilles Villeneuve was known as the Crazy Overtaker. It's a play on the Crazy Canucks (the ski team) and Overtaker is quite close to Undertaker as Donaldson points out in his biography... :eek:

The Pampas Bull = Froilan Gonzales
Seppi = Jo Siffert
"Mad Ronald" Peterson (given by Mike the Bike)
Super Tex = AJ Foyt
Glenn "Fireball" Roberts
Lone Star = Johnny Rutherford

Jody Scheckter was nicknamed "The Cub" when at McLaren because people compared his percieved ruggedness to Hulme's.

Senna was also "Magic" and "The Black Diamond" (during his Lotus days).

"Big" John Surtees's nickname was actually given by the Italian press. It's really "Il Grande" John, which correctly translates as "John The Great". It's far more appropriate I think... :)

#12 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,298 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 21:12

Jody Scheckter as "Fletcher"- the reference was to Richard Bach's book "Jonathan Livingston Seagull".

#13 Mirko Pavlovic

Mirko Pavlovic

• 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 23:29

Ronnie Pettersson is sometimes referred to as Superswede and Denny Humle as the bear.

#14 Jon Allen

Jon Allen

• 238 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 23:54

Wow, thanks for all the responses, folks. "The Crazy Overtaker" - I'm sure that one stuck in Rene Arnoux's mind after Dijon '79.

Then there's the name Murray Walker came up with - "The Flying Finn from Scotland". That one didn't seem to catch on...:)

#15 Zawed

Zawed

• 4,500 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 00:45

Brambilla-The Monza Gorilla

#16 pancho

pancho

• 95 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 07:50

Bill Vukovich - 'The Fresno Flash'

#17 Timekeeper

Timekeeper

• 74 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 08:39

Carlos Pace - "Moco"
Carlos Reutemann - "Lole" from El Lole Spanish for the bull
Jarier was also known as "Jumper" for his starts

#18 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,465 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 08:57

I always thought Jackie Oliver should have been Fletcher.

#19 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 14:06

I'm sure Jarier was called Jumper from a humorous (?) anglicisation of Jean-Pierre. There was also Jack O'Malley about the same time, and Stephen Johnson a little later.

Advertisement

#20 Criceto

Criceto

• 201 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 14:15

From pre-war, does anyone happen to know the derivation that caused William B. Scott, the Bentley works driver, to be known as "Bummer"? It always seems so disrespectful to see a whole list of entrants in a Sheldon book or similar listing people by their given names, and then poor old WB Scott always just listed as "Bummer"!

Same also goes for Lt.Col. Alan TG Gardner ("Goldie")
REL Featherstonehaugh ("Buddy")
Captain LG Hornsted ("Cupid")

Does anyone know the given names for those two?

Oh, don't forget "Phi-Phi" Etancelin, and didn't Senna start people referring to Nelson Piquet as the "Sao Paulo Taxi-driver"?

Martin Schanche is always "Mr Rallycross".

And there was a period in the early eighties when the British Formula Ford championship had two drivers who had the name John Booth. So to avoid too much confusion, they were referred to by their professions, one worked for a meat company, the other for an umbrella manufacturer. They were forever after "Butcher Booth" and "Brolly Booth".

#21 pancho

pancho

• 95 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 14:39

and what's the real name of the sportscar driver simply referred to as 'John Winter'?

#22 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 18:08

To answer Criceto:
Goldie wasn't a nickname. It was one of the three forenames of Alfred Thomas Goldie Gardner
I believe Hornsted's first name was Ligurd :rolleyes:
And the famous saxophonist was Rupert Edward Lee Featherstonhaugh
And I have always shared your concerns about W B Scott:)

#23 Criceto

Criceto

• 201 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 19:52

Gardner's first name Alfred?

Intriguing. I think therefore there's an edition of Veteran & Vintage magazine from the early 1970s that has led me astray there. Thanks for the tip.

And especial thanks for the suggestion on Hornsted. That one's been driving me nuts for the best part of a decade.

"John Winter" was Louis Krages.

Any ideas on "Amphicar"? And why...?

#24 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 20:57

Lt-Col Gardner was always known as Goldie (just as John Michael Hawthorn was never called John)

#25 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 21:42

Froilan Gonzales as the Pampas Bull, as mentioned earlier. Always appropiate for me, because I have seen old footage of him urging his 1953 Maserati to greater things by beating on the scuttle with his fist! Of course, 200bhp to him was a defiency of at least 200 horsepower.

#26 Amazin

Amazin

• 80 posts

Posted 29 April 2001 - 00:54

Emerson Fittipaldi = RATO (rat)
Wilson Fittipaldi Jr = TIGRAO (big tiger)

#27 Jon Allen

Jon Allen

• 238 posts

Posted 29 April 2001 - 01:08

Which reminds me - forgive my ignorance, but why is Lauda known as "the Rat"? I believe the nickname took hold before he became Jaguar's motivational speaker.:p (No offense to Lauda fans - a very great driver.)

#28 ehagar

ehagar

• 7,676 posts

Posted 29 April 2001 - 02:14

Originally posted by Jon Allen
Which reminds me - forgive my ignorance, but why is Lauda known as "the Rat"? I believe the nickname took hold before he became Jaguar's motivational speaker.:p (No offense to Lauda fans - a very great driver.)

why would 'the rat' want to work for a cat?

Not a very complimentary nickname...

#29 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,365 posts

Posted 29 April 2001 - 10:59

Which reminds me - forgive my ignorance, but why is Lauda known as "the Rat"?

I think the reason can be deduced by looking at a pre-Nürburgring '76 picture of him. Something about the teeth and the shape of the mouth. (With all due respect!)

Vanwall.:yawn:

#30 FLB

FLB

• 28,629 posts

Posted 30 April 2001 - 17:10

Lauda was also known as "L'ordinateur" ("The Computer") to the French press.

#31 Pookie

Pookie

• 33 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 01:29

It's funny I was just thinking about starting a thread like this the other day and it is already here.
Thanks everyone for the information. :up:

#32 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 02:29

Let's see whom you still haven't mentioned...

Golden Boy, Maestro, Siver Fox, Regenmeister, Nebelmeister, Bergmeister, Lionheart, Kansas Flash, Old Fox

And few others I'm sure...

#33 911

• 2,227 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 04:23

Originally posted by Leif Snellman

Stefan Johansson was known as "Lill Lövis" (The little leaf)

He was also known as "Steve Johnson" during his days when he lived & raced in England.

#34 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:09

The Flying Mantuan?

#35 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 10:55

Originally posted by Wolf
Let's see whom you still haven't mentioned...

Golden Boy, Maestro, Siver Fox, Regenmeister, Nebelmeister, Bergmeister, Lionheart, Kansas Flash, Old Fox

And few others I'm sure...

I've heard Jacques Villeneuve referred to more than once as a name combining "Regen" and the German for, er, used food - although he usually just seems to be "Jacks" (persons of a suitably lavatorial turn of mind will note that that was 18th century slang for a convenience, and I think still is in parts of Ireland...)

pete

#36 bs

bs

• 243 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 19:03

Don Garlits - Swamp Rat

#37 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,414 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 22:01

Racing driver nicknames were often applied in the beery warmth of the press box and had NO currency within the racing fraternity or paddocks.

One which has always puzzled me is Raymond Sommer's which styled him 'Le Sanglier des Ardennes' ('The Wild Boar of the Ardennes'?) while 'Coeur de Lion' ('Lionheart') was rather more understandable.

Lauda's good looks and dental profile earned him 'The Rat', and his egomaniacal politicking 'The Devious Mouse', while his home was nicknamed 'The Maus Haus'... which was quite good fun.

Salvadori was 'Salvo' in part because his tactics entering corners often resembled the arrival of a salvo of artillery fire.

Ascari was nicknamed 'Ciccio' by his mates which I've always understood translated most appropriately to 'Tubby' though I'm sure this might bear correction???

And then I can recall several drivers who were known by mechanics, team managers and rivals alike simply as "...Here comes the Bastard Now".... :cool:

DCN

#38 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 22:17

Originally posted by bs
Don Garlits - Swamp Rat

I always thought that was the car's name?

And while we're on drag racing, Pete Robinson was known as 'Sneaky Pete'... affectionately as far as I know.

Doug's final one reminds me that it was especially among his team that Frank Matich was known as 'Cranky Franky'...

#39 JACKINDYDUDE

JACKINDYDUDE

• 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 23:11

This is a real good thread.
Pancho: Bill Vukovich was also known as 'The Mad Russian', but I'm not sure he liked that monniker.
bs: And of course, Don Garlits was aka; Big Daddy Don
Danny Ongais; The Flyin' Hawaiian
Danny Sullivan; Danny 'Spin and Win' Sullivan
Kevin 'Crash' Cogan (FAIRLY OR UNFAIRLY)
Roger 'The Captain' Penske

Advertisement

#40 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,752 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 08:08

The Danish driver Thorkild Thyrring was known as "Talking Tiewrap" when he raced F3 in the UK, and I think Tiff Needell christened Eje Elgh "Double Egg"

#41 David T.

David T.

• 133 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 09:38

Andrea De Cesaris: "Mandingo", for the terrible shouts with which he used to terrorize the paddock;

Beppe Gabbiani: "Cavallo pazzo" (Crazy horse), for his impetuousness.

#42 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 11:57

Freddy Kottulinski was known as "Arms and elbows", presumably in relation to his driving style.

#43 David T.

David T.

• 133 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 14:08

Gabriele Tarquini: "Il cinghio" (= "il cinghiale", i.e. "the wild boar")
Fabrizio Giovanardi: "Piedone" ("big foot", just like Mario Andretti)
Alessandro Nannini: "Il nano" ("the dwarf")
Berardo Taraschi: "Il lupo d'Abruzzo" ("the Abruzzo wolf")

More to follow.

#44 David T.

David T.

• 133 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 15:18

Giuseppe Campari: "El negher" (in Lombardy dialect = "the Negro"), for his aspect
Tazio Nuvolari: "Il mantovano volante", that's a "classic" nickname
Jacky Ickx: "Pierino" (evoking a spiteful and disobedient scamp).

#45 David T.

David T.

• 133 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 15:24

Piero Taruffi: "La volpe argentata" ("The silver fox"), for his hair.

#46 bs

bs

• 243 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 16:01

Ray and JackIndyDude,

Yes, my memory fails me yet again. It was "Big Daddy" Don Garlits, Swamp Rat was the name given to his rails.

How about Mark Donohue: Captain Nice?

#47 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,360 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 18:00

Richard "The King" Petty, and "Little Al" Unser Jr. pop into my head.
-William

#48 Bob Amblard

Bob Amblard

• 54 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:07

For the 2006 F1 championship, I don't know several nicknames of drivers, if they possess one :

4 - Juan Montoya
T - Pedro De La Rosa
T - Luca Badoer
8 - Jarno Trulli
T - Olivier Panis
9 - Mark Webber
10 - Nico Rosberg
T - Alex Wurz
12 - Jenson Button
15 - Christian Klein
T - Robert Doornbos
17 - Jacques Villeneuve
T - Robert Kubica
20 - Vitantonio Liuzzi
21 - Scott Speed
T - Neel Jani
22 - Takuma Sato
23 - Yuchi Ide

Can you help me ?

Thanks

#49 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:46

Originally posted by Bob Amblard
For the 2006 F1 championship, I don't know several nicknames of drivers, if they possess one :

4 - Juan Montoya
T - Pedro De La Rosa
T - Luca Badoer
8 - Jarno Trulli
T - Olivier Panis
9 - Mark Webber
10 - Nico Rosberg
T - Alex Wurz
12 - Jenson Button
15 - Christian Klein
T - Robert Doornbos
17 - Jacques Villeneuve
T - Robert Kubica
20 - Vitantonio Liuzzi
21 - Scott Speed
T - Neel Jani
22 - Takuma Sato
23 - Yuchi Ide

Can you help me ?

Thanks

I can think of two:

Juan "who ate all the pies" Montoya
Jacques "F*****g" Villeneuve (that one is courtesy of Sniff Petrol).

As for the others - do they have sufficient in the way of character traits to acquire a nickname?

#50 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:49

Didn't Mario Andretti call himself Super Wop? Or at least adopt it with a grin.