- - - - -

The technical bit is mainly about how a dirt track behaves but nice story too

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mariner

mariner

• 2,291 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 01:56

A video - by her brother - of a 14 year old girl's first Sprint Car win.

The story is nice in itself of a brother helping his kid sister (!) but the description of the track conditions shows that dirt , like rally stages, has set of traction conditions that might challenge F1 expertise.

Also it  is interesting to note the frantic steering wheel movements , and the extreme front wheel angles with the rel

atively smooth yaw angles of the car. This is lower power sprint car but a full WoO dirt car has 900 bhp on a 84 inch wheelbase with only 650 kg of static weight - car control is everything.

Advertisement

#2 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,353 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 14:05

I read that the DOJ is considering prosecuting Tesla for misleading the public about just how "driverless" Tesla cars actually are.

#3 BRG

BRG

• 25,672 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 15:49

Also it  is interesting to note the frantic steering wheel movements , and the extreme front wheel angles with the relatively smooth yaw angles of the car. 

I recall a rally film many, many years ago where Hannu Mikkola said that if you were going to use opposite lock on a gravel corner, you should use it early and use full lock, rather than trying to be sparing and gentle with it.  And he was as smooth a driver on dirt as you could ask for.

#4 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 2,898 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 16:00

Many years ago, I read where the good Sprint Car, and this probably applies to any dirt oval race that is longer, drivers were the ones who could see/feel how the tracks was changing and change their driving style to compensate for the changing conditions.

There were a lot of sprint car drivers whose competed on road courses but is there any road race driver who tried to race a sprint car?

#5 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 10,962 posts

Posted 31 October 2022 - 08:16

I know of a few. Though were not great in either. 

A Formula Ford driver from Sydney won a few races,,, 9 national championships!!  And drove trotters as well.

A Victorian Sprintcar driver did ok is Stupidcars.

#6 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 10,962 posts

Posted 31 October 2022 - 08:32

A video - by her brother - of a 14 year old girl's first Sprint Car win.

The story is nice in itself of a brother helping his kid sister (!) but the description of the track conditions shows that dirt , like rally stages, has set of traction conditions that might challenge F1 expertise.

Also it  is interesting to note the frantic steering wheel movements , and the extreme front wheel angles with the rel

atively smooth yaw angles of the car. This is lower power sprint car but a full WoO dirt car has 900 bhp on a 84 inch wheelbase with only 650 kg of static weight - car control is everything.

I have followed these guys on You Tube. Tanner and Carly Holmes. She is at least 16 now,, BUT broke her back in a crash this year. Another stupidly dangerous US excuse for a track.

She was lapping cars and rode a wheel and flipped out of the non existent fence into a creek!!  Lucky it had no water.

HOW do these junk tracks ever get insurance?? No fences, no pit gates but a protrusion sticking out to catch someone wide. Cars are worth big bucks and tracks are worth about $20.

I have ran every track in South Oz as well as Western Victoria and never seen such garbage tracks that seem to be accepted in the US.

I know what track promoters have to go through to get a track licence here in Oz,, even the big dollar US ones are quite poor.

Enough of my rant,, young Carly is very good, I feel she will be better than her brother and he is doing ok. 

She has been working her butt off working in a brace doing all the normal stuff required on a Sprinter for her brother. 

84" wheelbase?  My 92" supermod looks small in every respect alongside a modern Sprint. My thoughts [and may be wrong] is around 90"

Even the tallboy frames though are very cramped in the cockpit,, my old thing is nearly a limo!