Photo
- - - - -

Can an F1 engine pass the euro 6 emissions requirements?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mariner

mariner

• 2,291 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 09:29

I will confess I have no idea of the answer but re reading how it was thought so time ago that  F1 teams were cheating by arranging for the lubricating oil to be burnt for extra power made me wonder if an F1 engine would pass the Euro 6 emisions levels.

F1 is justifiably proud of the engine efficiency as proof of tis green credentials but that is about CO2 gms/kg and not pollution levels.. Many cities like London are now restricting oldrer cars due to Nox, partiiculates etc. so I am wondering how an F1 engine stacks up against those limits.

I seem to have read  that high CR's tend to drive up NOX but not sure.

THe Euro limits over the years are here 

https://www.theaa.co...sions-standards

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 25,672 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 10:10

Well, if they don't meet Euro 6, Mayor Sadiq Khan won't be sanctioning any F1 demo runs in London again.   Although they could just pay the £12.50 ULEZ fine?

#3 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,635 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 10:54

Not without cats.

Edited by Magoo, 02 March 2023 - 10:54.

#4 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 28,266 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 15:02

I proposed years ago that F1 should mandate meeting current US/EU emission standards for road cars as part of its technical regulations. I still like the idea, but testing and compliance on race weekends would probably turn out to be a nightmare in the real world.

#5 404KF2

404KF2

• 18,007 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 21:48

Peugeot had a DPF on their 908HDI race car. Still don't know about total emissions....when those puppies regenerate (self-cleanse) on a road car, it looks like the engine is blowing up.

#6 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,635 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 00:07

I proposed years ago that F1 should mandate meeting current US/EU emission standards for road cars as part of its technical regulations. I still like the idea, but testing and compliance on race weekends would probably turn out to be a nightmare in the real world.

Agreed. You could do it in theory but with the engines running WOT at/near peak hp much of the time, it wouldn't mean very much. The USA and EU standards measure emissions in drive cycles at civilian road speeds. The process would generate a dieselgate-esque engine calibration scenario; ie it passes the test when you're testing it. 

#7 cbo

cbo

• 772 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 07:03

Agreed. You could do it in theory but with the engines running WOT at/near peak hp much of the time, it wouldn't mean very much. The USA and EU standards measure emissions in drive cycles at civilian road speeds. The process would generate a dieselgate-esque engine calibration scenario; ie it passes the test when you're testing it.

Now, that would make VW enter F1 immediately! And with their experience in test condition calibration, they would probably win..... 😁

#8 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,252 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 03:11

The Mercedes-Benz AMG One passes. Does that count?

#9 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 10,962 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 07:13

I suspect for the millions spent these engines would be quite efficient,, but that depends on the fuel. I fel sure standard unleaded from a roadside pump would have them not running,, that is IF they would ever start.

An efficient race engines running in its rev range would be more efficient than most road car engines,, but never at low rpm.

#10 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,596 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 10:04

The AMG One is tuned for pump gas.

#11 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,252 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 10:43

The AMG One is tuned for pump gas.

And the race fuel is more or less E10 petrol.