- - - - -

Do " snake oils work - again from enginelabs

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mariner

mariner

• 2,291 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 10:03

Generally NO but an interesting read even if the tests were fairly simple.

https://www.enginela...-fix-snake-oil/

Advertisement

#2 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 2,898 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 20:24

Most of the mechnics I spoke to over the decades gave me a - be wary - attitude when I spoke to them about this and all said never use it in splash lubrication engine.

The ones who said, yeah go ahead, use it, did not ever use them for any engine related items.

#3 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,635 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 15:17

I think additives had some value back when hydraulic lifters were prone to gumming up. I don't see any purpose they serve now. 

Weird related story: Decades ago the ball-stud rocker arms of Chevrolet V8s and sixes would develop a funny squeak. The fix, as discovered by a Chevrolet field engineer, was not snake oil but whale oil -- specifically, Chevrolet Positraction differential additive, which contained sperm whale oil. Just one or two drops -- no fooling -- on each rocker ball would fix it for at least 20,000 miles and usually forever. 

#4 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 19:02

Whale oil be damned.

#5 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,635 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 03:35

Whale oil be damned.

It's been banned in the USA, thankfully. 

#6 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,735 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 06:59

Whale oil beef hooked.

#7 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,290 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 08:28

Martin trying to explain to his father the iniquities of the whaling trade - how the, you know, gentle monsters of the deep, right, are being killed and dismembered, and their blubber converted into soap, rubber and cosmetics. "I don't know," mused Kingsley in reply. "Seems rather a good way of using up whales..."

#8 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 13:18

It's been banned in the USA, thankfully. 

What is the automotive demand for whale oil vs how many whales wash ashore in a given year. I know they haul them off to study them, but monetize that inventory for the agency budget. All natural organic lubricants. Ivory cutlery for your favorite dictator. Feedstock for the finest perfumeries. Tip to tail baby.

#9 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,735 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 08:49

Another secret use for whale oil is the mainsprings in old wind up clocks. 

#10 Joe Bosworth

Joe Bosworth

• 686 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 08:58

I swear by the value of STP oil additive for added slipping value.

Back in my FF days, (many moons ago), I had an oil pump failure with the oil pressure going to zero at full noise at the other end of the track.  I have a history of never leaving a car at the side of track and waiting to be towed in so left my foot in it and drove on into the pits and in field.  On getting there, out came the engine, off came the pan and confirmed that the gears in the pump were not going around; hence zero new oil under pressure to the bearings etc.  Popped couple of con rod ends off expecting to have lost a crankshaft. Interestingly the bearings, as well as the shaft was un-scored and still in perfect round.  This despite the couple of miles spent at full revs and throttle without lube.

I also used STP in my tow car/everyday driver.  I used to use it on an un-changing drive to work and kept copious fuel records from tank fill to next tank fill. The presence of STP in particular oil changes was good for nearly an 8% better fuel consumption.  The results were repeatable.

If nothing else a demonstration of trying to hold on to a table knife blade with oil and STP was not possible versus just an oily blade.

Also had good engine life with two stroke racing engine when liquid moly was mixed with the oil.  The effective engine hour was vastly improved.

So good for those snake oils.

Regards 

Joe :clap:

#11 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 2,898 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 15:50

Another secret use for whale oil is the mainsprings in old wind up clocks. 

It was also used in margarine till it was banned int the U.S., probably far more healthy than the crap that replaced it. :smoking:

#12 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,635 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 16:52

What is the automotive demand for whale oil vs how many whales wash ashore in a given year. I know they haul them off to study them, but monetize that inventory for the agency budget. All natural organic lubricants. Ivory cutlery for your favorite dictator. Feedstock for the finest perfumeries. Tip to tail baby.

I expect the current synthetic friction modifiers are superior to whale oil for automotive purposes. PTFE and stuff. 

#13 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 19:56

Driving Condition>Street Show>Show Car>Concours>Whale Tribute. The new level of refinement and the ultra exclusive 100+ point category.

I apologize in advance for prompting the era of billionaires hunting whales for cachet.

#14 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 10,962 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 04:58

I swear by the value of STP oil additive for added slipping value.

Back in my FF days, (many moons ago), I had an oil pump failure with the oil pressure going to zero at full noise at the other end of the track.  I have a history of never leaving a car at the side of track and waiting to be towed in so left my foot in it and drove on into the pits and in field.  On getting there, out came the engine, off came the pan and confirmed that the gears in the pump were not going around; hence zero new oil under pressure to the bearings etc.  Popped couple of con rod ends off expecting to have lost a crankshaft. Interestingly the bearings, as well as the shaft was un-scored and still in perfect round.  This despite the couple of miles spent at full revs and throttle without lube.

I also used STP in my tow car/everyday driver.  I used to use it on an un-changing drive to work and kept copious fuel records from tank fill to next tank fill. The presence of STP in particular oil changes was good for nearly an 8% better fuel consumption.  The results were repeatable.

If nothing else a demonstration of trying to hold on to a table knife blade with oil and STP was not possible versus just an oily blade.

Also had good engine life with two stroke racing engine when liquid moly was mixed with the oil.  The effective engine hour was vastly improved.

So good for those snake oils.

Regards 

Joe :clap:

20+ years ago the local Bardahl distributor had The Bardahl Kid, aka Chas Calandro his sponsored driver drain the oil from his BMW and do a couple of quickish laps around Speedway Pk. I can atest that it still sounded ok when it came back in and defenitly had no rods hanging out. As for the rest?? Dont know.

I do know that both STP and Bardahl help old tired engines regain lost oil pressure as well as minimise smoking. But then so does using straight 50 oil.

#15 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 10:40

I've driven with low/no oil before. You can definitely do a few miles  :lol:

#16 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 321 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 16:32

I had to cut some pipe threads once using a Rigid threading machine. All we had on hand was some motor oil, so I used that and the threads looked terrible. I ordered some thread cutting oil from the local Rigid dealer and used it next time to cut the threads, and what a difference! Clean cuts, they were great. Not snake oil perhaps, but the right tool for the job.

#17 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,635 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 21:42

World War I aviators reported that Castrol worked every time.