Photo

Basil van Rooyen 1939-2023

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gabrci

Gabrci

• 640 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 07:21

Basil van Rooyen sadly passed away last Thursday and I thought he more than deserves his own topic. 

I had the pleasure of exchanging a few emails with him about 15 years ago and found him to be the most charming, friendly person and still very passionate about his racing career. 

That leaves Paddy Driver, Brausch Niemann and Rhodesian Clive Puzey as the only survivors from the great 1960's South African F1 scene. 

Edited by Gabrci, 19 September 2023 - 08:53.

Advertisement

#2 WonderWoman61

WonderWoman61

• 1,542 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 20:50

Rest in Peace.

#3 pete53

pete53

• 719 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 22:16

I remember he spent a brief period over here in England in the summer of 1966 racing his Mustang.

#4 Perruqueporte

Perruqueporte

• 123 posts

Posted 20 September 2023 - 06:58

Basil van Rooyen sadly passed away last Thursday and I thought he more than deserves his own topic. 

I had the pleasure of exchanging a few emails with him about 15 years ago and found him to be the most charming, friendly person and still very passionate about his racing career. 

That leaves Paddy Driver, Brausch Niemann and Rhodesian Clive Puzey as the only survivors from the great 1960's South African F1 scene.

That is sad. As a boy here in the UK, reading Autosport and Motor Sport in the ‘60s, Formula 1 racing was definitely not just about the World Championship. South African F1 racing had a real profile and its local participants likewise.

Brausch Niemann certainly is still around, as far as I know. Until relatively recently he and his wife were spending part of each year touring far flung parts of the world on two wheels, and a few years ago he made from scratch a beautiful stainless steel exhaust system for a 500 single motorcycle of mine.

Christopher W.

#5 barrykm

barrykm

• 786 posts

Posted 21 September 2023 - 10:39

R.I.P. Basil. 

A great driver and engineer, and by all accounts I've read also a good chap.

I clearly remember his exploits in his Lotus Cortina and then his Mustang. But the one of my great 'what-ifs' is what could have happened had he not had that accident at Kyalami in the McLaren M7A/1 in 1969 which brought his racing career to an end at that stage?

IIRC the accident was cause by a tyre failure/problem? Chassis M7A/1 was written off according to oldracing cars.com.

#6 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,322 posts

Posted 21 September 2023 - 12:47

Official death notice (The Sydney Morning Herald)
Obituary by Michele Lupini (Auto [= South African website])

#7 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,602 posts

Posted 21 September 2023 - 21:55

RIP Basil Van Rooyen. Very popular member of the South African community in the St Ives area of Sydney and a good bloke to boot from all accounts.

6175-N-Van-R-77-TNF.jpg