Photo

Painting of Jim Clark leading his last Grand Prix in South Africa 1968

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MCS

MCS

• 4,630 posts

Posted 20 September 2023 - 19:29

Almost twenty years ago I saw a painting in a Letchworth shop window (an Art Gallery) of Jim Clark's Lotus 49 leading Jackie Stewart's monstrously ugly Matra and, I think, Graham Hill's Lotus and Chris Amon's Ferrari into Leeukop.

The shop was closed unfortunately and I didn't go back, but the image has stayed with me - it was a superb rendition and I have always wondered who the artist was.  I wish I could have bought the picture - I think it was about £250, although I may be mistaken.

It wasn't a Michael Turner painting or a Roy Nockolds - I struggled to see the artist's signature.

So, given the incredible ability of solving puzzles on TNF, does anybody have any ideas as to the mystery artist? 

Advertisement

#2 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,388 posts

Posted 20 September 2023 - 23:05

Google is probably your best friend if no luck here,Artist's name,STBO, is the best way to track down prints so you have to search every motorsport artist of that period.

https://www.ebay.com...tm/385642269529

#3 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,353 posts

Posted 21 September 2023 - 07:52

Might have been by Mike Maule, who had a much looser style than either Turner or Nockold.

#4 MCS

MCS

• 4,630 posts

Posted 22 September 2023 - 17:58

Thanks Ian / Thanks Bloggie.

I've found some of Mike Maule's work - terrific paintings - but it's not him.  Also found this: https://www.motoring...info/index.html so will keep looking.

Wow, there are some superb pieces out there!

#5 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,577 posts

Posted 22 September 2023 - 19:22

How about Tony Smith ? Similar style to Michael Turner I felt. Thinking of which how about Graham Turner, Michaels son ?

Edited by LittleChris, 22 September 2023 - 19:24.

#6 MCS

MCS

• 4,630 posts

Posted 22 September 2023 - 19:46

No, don't think so from what I can find, but thanks Chris.  Similar style though.  Not Graham Turner either, although I would have recognised his signature I'm sure.

Will keep looking!