Photo

Imola's Tre Monti Cicuit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Michkov

Michkov

• 20 posts

Posted 09 October 2023 - 01:23

I am looking for the route of Imola's Tre Monti Circuit that was used for a couple of races in the 20s. G. de Carli gives only distance figures and the location of the start for one variant.

What makes finding material on the 1920s races difficult is that a route with the same name was used as a cycling stage in the 1960s. So the only route I could find was one for cyclists, but it includes the current racetrack, which is a bit anachronistic. Removing the circuit, i.e. going from Variante Alta straight to Rivazza, gives a distance of 12km, which is close to one of the 1920s' variants.

3-monti-percorso.png

So the questions now are, is the modern cycling route the same as the 1920 Tre Monti circuit, and how do the two 1920s variants differ from each other?

Advertisement

#2 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 6,868 posts

Posted 09 October 2023 - 12:01

So the only route I could find was one for cyclists, but it includes the current racetrack, which is a bit anachronistic. 

The current race track was originally public roads, as far as I know, so it's possible for the twenties track to have included those.

#3 FlyingSaucer

FlyingSaucer

• 27 posts

Posted 09 October 2023 - 13:42

Exactly. As Michael quoted, most of the track, before the revamps of the 70´s and 80´s, was made up of public roads. So, even though I cannot guarantee you with 100% certainty that the current circuit was part of the Tre Monti, it was quite possible that some roads comprised this original variant of the 1920 track.

Edited by FlyingSaucer, 09 October 2023 - 13:45.