Maranello Concessionaires: looking for articles

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tuscan4000

tuscan4000

• 10 posts

Posted 04 November 2023 - 10:01

Good morning all,

I'm looking for articles about the Maranello Concessionaires's cars in late '60s. I'm precisely looking for any info on 67's British GT Championship of spring/summer 1967. Mike Parkes drove a Ferrari 250 LM and attended some races in those months. Maybe some magazines (or a large database) are in existance.

Thank you very much

Advertisement

#2 dgs

dgs

• 235 posts

Posted 04 November 2023 - 14:53

According to 'The Colonel's Ferrari's' book by Doug Nye. Michael Parkes competed in Norbury Trophy race at Crystal Palace (29-05-1967) It was a 15 lap Group 4 race. Competed in Ferrari 250LM chassis 6167) race No 48.

Also confirmed in 'A Record of Motor Racing at Crystal Palace' volume 2 by Richard Page. Grid 2nd, finished 2nd, 15 laps 

#3 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 251 posts

Posted 04 November 2023 - 17:01

Depending on what exactly you are after, the old records of Maranello Concessionaires are held by the Maranello Archive.  PM me if you want a contact email address.

#4 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 234 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 18:11

Mike Parkes drove only one race in 1967 for the Maranello Concessionaires Team, as mentioned above: Norbury Trophy Crystal Palace/29.05.1967.

First race was supposed to be Silverstone, The "W.D.& H.O.Wills" Trophy, race 2 but Mike Parkes/#21 is listed as DNA.

Four more races in 1967 were done by Richard Attwood for MC.

More information is in:

250 LM *5895* Maranello Concessionaires by Arnaud Meunier/2019/www.ambook.fr/page 154:

1965/*6167*/verde/RHD Delivered in February 1965 to Australian importer William H. Lowe on behalf of his customer David McKay.

After the buyer cancels his order, the car is exhibited at the Melbourne Motor Show in February 1965 but, with no takers, it is sent back to Ferrari.

At the beginning of 1967, Maranello Concessionaires Ltd. buys the car with an extended front made by Drogo.

In September 1967, it is sold to Englishman Paul Vestey.

If of interest I can scan the list of races/results regarding #6167 and some black/white pics from Crystal Palace.

Then I need your e-mail address please. Andreas 

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 19:55

This was the green car?

I'd be very curious about who ordered the car through McKay (or Scuderia Veloce Motors).

#6 tuscan4000

tuscan4000

• 10 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 20:57

Yes it was. It was ordered by William H Lowe. One image comes from Melbourne Motor Show (6167 is on a stage in Lowe's stand); other images were supposed to be published in an Australian motoring magazine. The car stayed with Lowe for two years. There's another image of the car in a stand in a wide open space: it was published in an Italian magazine (but surely it came from an Australian agency so it was a local event). It's supposedly the green 6167. I wish I have a high-res image 

This was the green car?

I'd be very curious about who ordered the car through McKay (or Scuderia Veloce Motors).

Car was ordered by William H Lowe but it seems there aren't images. One comes from Melbourne Motor Show (6167 is on a stage in Lowe's stand); other images were supposed to be published in an Australian motoring magazines. The car stayed with Lowe for two years. 

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 22:31

I saw it at that Motor Show...

The only time I ever went to the Melbourne Motor Show, it coincided with a Sandown Park Tasman event from memory.

My curiosity about the order was who it might have been who ordered it through Scuderia Veloce Motors. That was David McKay's business.

On display in the open could well have been at Sandown Park at some other time. Can you send me (e.mail address below) the photo involved and I can probably identify that for you.