Photo

Frank Lance, Lone Star Racing Mechanic

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 WINO

WINO

• 581 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 12:25

For those TNF-ers not familiar with the weekly website VeloceToday.com, starting today it will feature a multi-part series on Frank Lance. For ten years Frank worked as a racing mechanic for various Texas drivers and team owners: Jim Hall, Ebb Rose, Carroll Shelby, John Mecom and A.J. Foyt. He is 90 years of age now, with a great memory, and has some interesting tales to tell.

Advertisement

#2 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,322 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 19:59

His parents must have trusted in the „New Deal“ of the then just inaugurated President of the United States when they gave their son the name „Roosevelt Franklin Lance“.

BTW, Willem, I think you are allowed to put a link to the article on the VeloceToday website.

#3 WINO

WINO

• 581 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 22:09

Thanks, ReWind. Much appreciated! Eight more parts on Frank to come in the next weeks.

Willem

#4 tampaguy

tampaguy

• 128 posts

Posted 08 November 2023 - 00:34

Mr Lance had a front row seat to the Golden Age, I look forward to reading every installment.

#5 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,076 posts

Posted 08 November 2023 - 00:46

Excellent interview, Willem, with marvellous archive photos. Many thanks for posting them. It is intriguing to see three small euro motors behind the Temple Buell Maserati. It looks like a Borgward/Hansa in front of a Morris 1000 with and A35 in the rear distance, which must have left some folk a little bemused.

Roger Lund

#6 WINO

WINO

• 581 posts

Posted 08 November 2023 - 00:55

Roger,

Growing up in Holland in the 1950s, I recall those small cars were a dime a dozen there. But, apart from the Morris and Austin, I had a hard time identifying the other one in the photo. And I still wonder what kind of a market there would have been for them in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Probably another reason for the demise of the CSSCI retail business?

Willem

#7 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,217 posts

Posted 08 November 2023 - 10:13

An earlier Jerry Entin thread on Mr. Lance:

Frank Lance - The Nostalgia Forum - The Autosport Forums

#8 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 4,475 posts

Posted 08 November 2023 - 11:12

A massive thanks, WINO.

Why would I click on a link to an article about a mechanic I'd never heard of, based 5000 miles from me, in a time long past? My goodness, I'm glad I did!

#9 WINO

WINO

• 581 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 18:31

It is Tuesday, so Part 2 of the Frank Lance story is on VeloceToday.com.

A brief employment with Ebb Rose in Houston, then back to Jim Hall in Dallas.

#10 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,278 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 18:54

Although just a few years before my time and not of much interest from that, a great read and very well-written.

Thanks!

And I just smile at the very thought of Toly. We witnessed him win two H-Prod national championships in his Morgan, during a time my dad had one, in ‘73 and ‘77. He was unfairly disqualified in ‘73 so we were really thrilled when he earned it back in 1977. A real character.

#11 WINO

WINO

• 581 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 12:31

Tuesday again, so Part 3 of the Frank Lance story is out. VeloceToday.com covers Jim Hall's 570S and Tipo 61 Maseratis, and his first Chaparral.