Photo

The last all nighter?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,532 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 13:55

Just chatting with Beaky Sims and the subject of mechanics working an all nighter to repair a car for the next morning's running came up. We couldn't think when the last it happened was. We're talking F1 here, maybe other series regulations aren't so restrictive? Obviously, an all nighter in Beaky's day was par for the course and maybe even two or three in a row, too.
Does anyone have an idea?

Advertisement

#2 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 380 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 18:37

Regular occurrence during my years at Le Mans, sometimes two or three days and night in a row.... Kruse Schiller Motorsport in 2008 is a good example. Not a great way to prepare for a 24-hour race.

#3 airbox

airbox

• 80 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 19:10

I think the last all-nighter sessions might have been in 2002? Certainly in terms of between qualifying and the race as the rules were changed for 2003 banning any work on cars between 18.00 on Saturday and 08.00 on Sunday and requiring teams to move cars to parc ferme between those times. 

Not sure if they could potentially work at any other time on the cars during practise though.

#4 VWV

VWV

• 313 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 19:36

Parc Ferme was introduced in 2003. However I think the teams have 2 jokers a season to break Parc Ferme to repair cars that are damaged. I am sure Ferrari did all nighter to rebuild Carlos's car after the Las Vegas crash.

Edited by VWV, 22 November 2023 - 19:39.