Photo

Google's "amazing" new F1 picture search function

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 muppet

muppet

• 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 19:39

I don't know if this old news, or maybe VERY old news for the regulars on this esteemed forum, but I just found it an hour ago.

Google (google.com) now have an "image search" function at their main site. Just go there, click on image search and enter, say, "march ronnie peterson" or "lotus 72" or "mclaren m19" or "indy gurney eagle" or just about anything in contemporary F1 and BINGO! You've got a dozen thumbnail links to various assorted pics of the relevant cars! TOTALLY f**king amazing! And many of them are original and unusual pics too. Fair knocked me over!

As I say, I've only just found this function on the Google site and it is running as a beta, so I guess it IS a new thing.

For me, searching the many (thousands?) of F1 history sites looking for images of old cars is the most frustrating aspect of surfing these sites, as the images each site has is quite limited and is NOT searchable.

For example searching for "connew f1" brought up 4 pics of which 3 were relevant and I hadn't seen before.

The best being

http://www.f1test.co...ages/connew.jpg

Try it out folks.

(if everyone knows about this already, then no harm done)

Advertisement

#2 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,589 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 20:42

I didn't know about this. That's terrific! Thanks! :)

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,298 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 21:32

THAT IS ****ING AMAZING!!

#4 AyePirate

AyePirate

• 5,823 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 21:42

Muppet,

Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You

I've used google for quite awhile, but I'd never used that
function.

#5 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,540 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 22:19

As this is my 1000th post, how appropriate that it should involve the Connew!

Muppet - thank you for alerting me (us) to that facility and a bigger thank you for choosing, of all the available pictures, that very one.

It is actually a photo from my Connew Story but I should acknowledge the photographer. Her name is Maureen Magee and she was very prolific around that time. This is, I think, the very best photo ever of the old girl. (The car, that is, not Maureen!) :lol:

#6 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,312 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 22:32

Fantastic thanks for the tip Muppet

Well done on the 1k Barry boor

#7 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 19:15

Well done on your 1000th post Barry Boor :up:

#8 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,589 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 19:39

Congratulations, Barry! :up: :)

#9 Bjorn

Bjorn

• 5,889 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 20:26

Oooh, wicked. thanks for the tip :up:

#10 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 20:34

I mean everyone just noticed that function? :confused: Alta Vista and other search engines have the same feature and I use it quite frequently when looking for various information for briefing slides....

Naturally, my IT contractor at the Pentagon told me about it when I actually was forced to sit through a "class" on the use of my computer -- the Army said no exceptions and so I was not able weasel out of the class in spite of my violent protestations: it lasted maybe 15 minutes when he realized I could use the beige box inflicted upon me. I think only Alta Vista had that neat trick at the time....

And :up: to Barry for reaching the big K.

#11 Bjorn

Bjorn

• 5,889 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 20:43

I personally always had Google appear in Icelandic, it detected it automatically and I thought it was, well, cute :p

But there were none of these spiffy options available in that version of the site. It wasn't until just now that I decided to fiddle around with the options, and a whole new Google has opened up for me :)

#12 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,179 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 20:46

Thanks Muppet - I found some pictures of Paul Pietsch I've been looking for!!
And if this is the Barry Boor - 1000 posts - well done thread - well, well done Barry!:up: :)