Photo

'No Smoking' F1 Liveries

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 curtegerer

curtegerer

• 12 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 15:02

When and where did the practice of removing tobacco logos from F1 cars start? Specifically, did the 1977 Marlboro McLaren M23 and the 1978 JPS Lotus ever run in no-smoking livery?? I've got some conflicting information on this subject, some suggesting this started in the mid-70's in some countries. My own recollection says it wasn't until the early 1980's???? -- Curt

Advertisement

#2 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 15:25

1968-British GP I think. BBC refused to cover it until the John Player sailor device was removed from the Lotuses. A black patch( later a Union Jack) covered it.The 'Gold Leaf Team Lotus' was OK as this was the team name!

#3 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 16:19

curtegerer,

the first time I remember of tobacco logos being removed was for the German GP '75, held at the old Nürburgring.

Carles.

#4 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,465 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 17:34

THere was no tobacco advertising on the cars in"Der Kleiner Preis von Deutschland", 1977.

#5 curtegerer

curtegerer

• 12 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 18:32

Thanks guys. If anyone has photos of these early 'no-smokers', please post. Thanks. -- Curt

#6 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 20:45

Here are a few examples from the 1970s ;

Posted Image
John Watson at the German GP in 1975, 'JPS' was ok, but not 'John Player Special'.

Posted Image
Jochen Mass at the German GP in 1976, Marlboro chevron was ok, but not 'Marlboro'.

Posted Image
James Hunt at the German GP in 1978, Marlboro lettering omitted.

Posted Image
Mario Andretti at the British GP in 1978, all reference to John Player now removed, exept the black and golden colors.

#7 curtegerer

curtegerer

• 12 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 22:23

Excellent! Thank you very much. -- Curt

#8 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 22:23

It goe back a lot further than you'd think I can tell you. In early 1968 after Lotus painted the 49's in the Gold Leaf Livery and completed the NZ rounds of the Tasman Series they came over to Australia. The Governing Body took exception to the Livery and barred the cars from practice at Surfers. Lotus got around this by putting race tape over the Players Sailor on the cars, after further clarification the cars were allowed to run uncovered.

#9 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,365 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 12:09

Rainer's wonderful pictures and Bernd's anecdote evoke the awful hand-wringing agonies through which the "authorities" have been putting themselves on the cigarette advertising issue over all these years.

Their (the authorities, that is!) laughable misunderstanding of how branding and visual imagery works is demonstrated by such absurdities as covering over the sailor. :lol: :lol:

I recall a year or two ago reading about a rumour that Coca-Cola were going to be the main sponsor of Toyota's F-1 effort. The reason (hah!) cited was that their corporate livery was of similar colours to Toyota's. Coke, when questioned about this responded, IIRC, that the primary demographic of Formula One was significantly older than their primary demographic and so, it follows, they would not get optimum bang for their buck from Formula One.

If that is correct (and it seems logical to me) then it follows that the majority of Formula One followers are beyond the point when peer pressure and hormones are tempting them to take up smoking.

So perhaps the presence of cigarette sponsorship of Formula One really is about brand switching rather than taking up the habit in the first place. And perhaps the fate of Spa is all about money and nothing to do with principles ... erm, sorry, we knew that all along ;)

At risk at really going out on a limb, is it in any way relevant to observe that vodka was extremely, nay harmfully, popular with the Workers of the USSR at a time way before The Central Committee would have any truck with advertising.;)

Vanwall, a lifelong non-smoker.