Photo

Tazio Nuvolari the greatest ever.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 15 November 1999 - 11:28

Just for fun I thought I might offer some reason why many considered this so.

Reason #326

Posted Image
As told by Enzo Ferrari:
Carlo Pintacuda was a noble Sicilian by birth, a Florentine by adoption. He won twice at the Thousands Miles (Mille Miglia), among his many other accomplishments all over the world. He was as great a long distance racer as he was a Grand Prix racer. I recall that at the Montenero circuit where they were racing for the Ciano Cup in 1936, he complained that his brakes hadn’t functioned properly, and he ended up back in the last places by the second lap. Nuvolari got into his car after he had broken the axle of his own and caught up, winning the race. When the flabbergasted journalists and Pintacuda himself asked Nuvolari how he had pulled it off, he quipped, “You don’t need brakes to drive fast…”

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Life is racing, the rest is waiting

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

[This message has been edited by Dennis David (edited 11-15-1999).]

Advertisement

#2 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 15 November 1999 - 12:21

And he did it against a Bernd Rosemeyer who was in his stride no less...

It was also an Alfa Romeo 1-2-3. A very rare finish for those times.

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

#3 pinchevs

pinchevs

• 438 posts

Posted 15 November 1999 - 22:58

You will hear no argument from me. T.N. is the only driver that has captured my imagination as much as G.V.. I’ve been captivated by stories like his drive at the Miglia Miglia (or was it the Targa Fiorio) when his car fell a part and still he continued driving sitting on a crate of oranges (or was it a sack) and when his wheel came a part he used pliers to drive. However the most intersting aspect of his life for me was that when he became very ill he tried to die on the racetrack.

------------------

[This message has been edited by pinchevs (edited 11-15-1999).]

#4 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 15 November 1999 - 23:40

TGN was a much more complex man than most give him credit for being. The loss of his two sons and then the serious health problems he endured at the end took their toll.

Nuvolari, Straight, Seaman, and Moss were the in the vanguard of drivers in Europe to really attempt to put racing on a professional basis as far as drivers were concerned.

Somewhere I have a picture of Nuvolari waving the steering wheel as he enters the pits - for which his troubles were rewarded with a fine...

TGN was The One that made all the "old" folks that I went to races with as a youngster stop for a minute, take a pause that usually seemed to accompanied by a twinkle in the eye, and then say what a great Driver and Man (you could hear the capitals) he was. Only Rosemeyer seemed to get similar treatment, although a few that saw Guy Moll said he was also "sehr wunderbar!"

I think TGN was The Best. Only a few could be placed in the same category with him. I often wonder why there hasn't been a readily available biography of Nuvolari written for the English-speaking fans in ages - the Johnny Lurani bio from years ago was really the last I am aware of. It would be nice to see some effort to at least see a token effort to have bios on Nuvolari, Caracciola, Varzi, etc., produced by someone and put on the book shellves. I really wonder if need another Hilton quicky bio on David Coulthard, Michael Schumacher, etc., but the market says...

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

#5 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 17 November 1999 - 23:59

Didn't get on the gerbil-powered computer until fairly late last night since my son was working on his latest programs for his C++ programming class. Instead of vegetating in front the One-Eyed Monster, I pulled several of my pre-war books off the shelf and read some about TGN.

It was fascinating to see pictures of him all bandaged up sitting in race cars - in the victory circle! Or time after time snatching wins while in clearly inferior cars. Or driving flat-out and foot to the floor trying just as hard for fifth (or lower) as for first.

What an amazing guy! With the exception of Varzi (and it really wasn't ugly compared to what you would expect to hear today), it is difficult to find much said about TGN that was negative. Yes, he was hard-nosed and did not suffer fools gladly, but he raced for a living.

An interesting image came to my mind as I was reading: TGN and Dale Earnhardt battling over the final few laps for the win at Daytona. Now THAT would be fascinating.

Or TGN in a Minardi. While even he might be able to make it a winner, it would have been a good reason to have a camera ready to point in his direction.

At any rate, the more I ponder all things TGN, the more I am personally convinced that is easily one of the very few that could be considered as for The Title.

An oh BTW: I also thought about a current driver who would have excelled out of his time: Jacques Villeneuve. Had he linked up with Colin Chapman in 1960, it would be interesting to see how JV and Clark would have fared. JV has a style that would probably suited the Lotus 25/33 quite well.

Ciao!

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

#6 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 18 November 1999 - 00:27

Reason #327 Need I say more?

Posted Image

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

[This message has been edited by Dennis David (edited 11-17-1999).]

#7 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 18 November 1999 - 11:10

Barry Kalb wrote the following on Tazio. I think it's worth reading to a full:

The first name on anybody's list of the greatest is Tazio Nuvolari, the legendary, lantern-jawed, ferociously intense man of Mantova. Nuvolari's racing career, which started with motorcycles, spanned the three decades from 1920 to 1948. The Italian drove during both the pre-war and post-war eras, and unlike most top-rank drivers, who taper off in their latter years of competition, Nuvolari was almost as much a threat at the end as he was at the start. He had already raced for 14 seasons when the golden era of pre-war racing - the 1934-39 period - began, and still he racked up 11.5 grand prix wins during that period (fractional points were given for shared drives). During his next-to-last year of racing, when he was 55 years old, he almost won the fabled Mille Miglia.

Enzo Ferrari raced against Nuvolari in the '20s, and later hired him to drive Alfa Romeo and Ferrari automobiles. Ferrari's involvement with motor racing and racing cars lasted 60 years, giving him a unique perspective on the sport and its participants. In his autobiography, "Ferrari 80", he ranked Nuvolari, along with Stirling Moss, as the all-around best the world had ever seen:

"...We find similar the styles of a Nuvolari and a Moss, men who in whatever type of car, in any type of circumstance and on any race course, give their all... I think of these two pilots because they seem to me to have personified the maximum expression of unqualified ability aboard a vehicle... whether they were piloting a closed car, a two-seater spyder, or a single-seater..."

Ferrari added: "Numerous other racers of great fame, who otherwise demonstrated - like Fangio - sublime class in single-seaters, revealed uncertainty whenever they changed to different types of vehicles."

Nuvolari is credited with perfecting the controlled four-wheel drift, the dominant method of cornering through the early 1960s, until modern suspensions, and later down-draft technology, changed the cornering characteristics of racing machines. He raced against the best drivers of his era in cars good and not-so-good, and he beat them all at one time or another. One of his greatest triumphs was his victory in the 1935 German Grand Prix at the Nurburgring in an aging Alfa-Romeo: through sheer driving skill, he beat the all-conquering and vastly more powerful Mercedes-Benzes and Auto-Unions. His winning record during the '34-'39 period was second only to that of the German ace, Rudolf Caracciola. Nuvolari came second in the 1947 Mille Miglia after leading most of the way in an under-powered Cisitalia, and would have won the race had he not drowned the ignition going through a puddle, necessitating a 20-minute stop to get the car going again.

Nuvolari won almost 200 races during his incredible career. When asked if racing did not frighten him, he replied: "Tell me, do you think you will die in bed? You do? Then where do you find the courage to get into it every night?"

He died in bed in 1953.

-----------------------

I remember I had tears in my eyes when I first read it, for sheer emotions to this man. What a great great story he was, what a great contribution he made to many around the world...

#8 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 19 November 1999 - 06:24

Thanks, Bira. That is the thing about TGN, he was just somebody that we simply couldn't overlook in any race he was in, even if the car was a total dog, he wrung every bit out of it and himself.

I think so often the polls focus solely on the WDC. Nuvolari, Moss, Gurney, Andretti, Brabham, McLaren, Hulme, Surtees were all Great All-Arounders. Yet most polls tend to overlook them.

And why should the poll be restricted to just GP/F1? The greats in their fields were still great: Erik Carlsson, Richard Petty, A.J. Foyt, Olivier Gendebien, Jimmy Murphy, David Pearson, and John Love are just a few examples and there are many many others.

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

#9 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 19 November 1999 - 08:45

I personally think Mario Andretti is underrated.

#10 Fast One

Fast One

• 600 posts

Posted 19 November 1999 - 09:30

I recall reading about Tazio in a Mille Miglia, trailing the leader at night, turning off his headlights, following the leader by going where the taillights went, then turning his headlights on as he roared past!!! Can any of you remember the year and who the other principals were?

#11 Fast One

Fast One

• 600 posts

Posted 19 November 1999 - 09:56

Don--
I really agree with you about the overemphasis on Formula 1 in "greatest Drivers" polls. Today racing is so polarized, with little crossover, that many people don't realize that well into the '70's, many great drivers drove in many series. Jim Clark, immesely successful in F1, never did as well in sports car racing, but he drove everything from stock cars to Formula 2. At the Nassau Speed Week, we were treated to Gurney, Foyt and I can't remember who else driving VW Beetles!! They figured, "what the hell; we're here and it's racing". There was even a debate inthe '60's about which were the ultimate cars, CAN/AM or Formula 1. And look at all the top line drivers who drove prototypes. I agree that the all-rounders should get more credit. There used to be more to racing than F1.

#12 f li

f li

• 299 posts

Posted 19 November 1999 - 11:28

Other than the Lotus 19's and 23's, Chapman's sports car namely the 30 and 40 (30 with 10 more mistakes!) were pretty bad. No one did truly well with them! Clark did take a 23 with an early Lotus twin cam to the old N-burg ring against the Ferrari 330's. I'm sure DC and DD will have more to say about that!

He was pretty damn good with the Cortina and they even dropped one down a bobsled run (with Clark at the wheel). Don't ever think Clark was only good at Formula 1! He did Le Mans at least once.

[This message has been edited by f li (edited 11-19-1999).]

#13 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 19 November 1999 - 12:05

30 with 10 more mistakes, I love it where did you get that? Your remember all of the three wheel shots of Clark?

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#14 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 19 November 1999 - 14:36

It was 1930 and the leader was Novolari's rival Varzi. He was having car trouble but believed that he had a sufficient lead to last the race so he actually slowed down. Great story anyway!

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#15 Jonathan

Jonathan

• 6,548 posts

Posted 19 November 1999 - 15:19

F Li

a Bobsled run ? Hmmm Did "Bo Lungefeld" (sp ?) have something to do with that ?

Dan Capps - John Love ? Huh? You got me there. I guess I really am ignorant after all.
Who is (or was?) he ?

#16 Fast One

Fast One

• 600 posts

Posted 19 November 1999 - 19:54

John Love was a South African who actually would have won the 1967 GP there if he hadn't (I think) run out of gas, handing the win to Pedro Rodriguez in the Cooper-Maserati. I don't know much more about him, but I'll bet Don and David do.

#17 f li

f li

• 299 posts

Posted 20 November 1999 - 02:12

DD,

You're "speaking" of Clark in the Lotus Cortina's - the inside front wheel about 8 to 10 inches off of the ground? What about the one of J. Surtees - two wheeling a Ferrari gran prix car - both inside wheels off the ground!

#18 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 20 November 1999 - 02:57

F - Yes I was. Do you have a picture of Surtees doing his impression of Super Dave Osborne?

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#19 Uncle Davy

Uncle Davy

• 6,010 posts

Posted 20 November 1999 - 19:41

Jonathan,

From Guinness' GP Who's Who:

"John Love was well known in Europe, having ventured to England in 1961 to race Ken Tyrrell's Formula Junior Cooper along with Tony Maggs. Although in his late thirties, Love was back for more in 1962, driving the works Mini-Cooper with spectacular success as well as competing in Formula Junior, but his season was cut short by an accident at Albi in which he sustained a badly broken arm. Business interests kept him at home from then onwards, apart from an abortive trip to the 1964 Italian GP, when his works Cooper was ill prepared.

The first of Love's six South African championships came in 1964, and it was a tally that was only halted by a determined rival in Dave Charlton, with whom he had some ding-dong battles over the years. Success generally eluded John in the local World Championship Grands Prix, though, with the exception of the 1967 event, when only a late pit stop for fuel prevented him from taking what would have been a fairy-tale victory.

In addition to his single-seater exploits in South Africa, Love also regularly raced sports cars with distinction in the Springbok series of the late sixties and early seventies."

I'm sure DC or DD may be able to flesh out this brief bio with an interesting tale or two, as we have come to expect, nay, demand from them. :D