Photo

The 8W Aftermath & the Jack Brabham Trophy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 07 December 1999 - 01:27

Well, the 8W Game is over again and I recommend they institute the Jack Brabham Trophy for awarding certain instances where, shades of Monte Carlo 1970, a player truly does say: "What the heck? Uh-oh!" as he figuratively slides through the braking point so as to test the crashworthiness of the armco at the hairpin. Or perhaps they should call it the Homer Simpson Plaque since it was definitely a time to say, "Ah duh!"

This is another reason that reinforces to me the evils of gambling (which includes coin tosses): if it were heads/tails instead the tails/heads that I called when guessing the final picture, it would have been nice. I did get it down to three then two and just literally flipped a coin - the Hockenheim looked just like Canada to me :o!

Tommy Byrne. Tommy Byrne? Sorry Tommy, no Christmas present from me this year, Buckeroo! Teddy Yip & the Theodore effort needs a scribe to sort out all these folks for us non-80's types of guys.

John Cross is a worthy Champion and my congratulations to John for an outstanding job. Now if we can just get John to start hanging out here on the Forum....

And a great effort on behalf of our very own Marcel Schot. This is pretty tricky business and I admire Marcel for having the guts to try it. I think that soon you'll see Marcel on the podium. Good going, Marcel! Hooah!

The next 8W Game isn't due until the end of January (the 24th I believe), so you have plenty of time to figure out the answers.

Personally, I may skip the damn 80's, so, HEY! I think I know that guy! Lemme see....

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

Advertisement

#2 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 07 December 1999 - 13:34

Sheer disappointment Don, sheer disappointment :(

I really thought I would have done a little better than this. I know the why's are my week point, since I don't really have the time or motivation to write 10 articles a month. Otherwise it was a question of "so close, yet so far"...all of the pictures I had wrong, the right ones were my second option, but that doesn't buy me anything :)

This time there's time enough to really think things over again and again, so I hope I can get at least all the pics right this time.

#3 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 07 December 1999 - 21:32

Marcel,

That you try is enough to make you a winner in my book.

Don't go overboard on the Why section, like some people do, do the basics of the why and then flesh it out of you have time.

BTW, the new Game looks interesting. Most are easy, but there is one in the 70's that has me stumped already although I know that I should know it.

Continue the good work, hang in there and collect the silverware when I play "Wallsmacker" again.

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

#4 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 07 December 1999 - 23:08

Don: you're absolutely right. In our book, every 8W competitor is a winner.

Considering the fact we've had approx. 20,000 hits since starting the game in May '98 there is only a very small percentage daring to compete. Most visitors are playing the game privately. That's OK with us since 8W is strictly an amateur effort. The formost reason for us extending the new game until late January is us wanting to relax during the Christmas break!

BTW, what would a Jack Brabham Trophy look like? ;-)

Marcel: you did a sterling job and I'm sure you'll be in the middle of things with the Millennium game. After all, people, Marcel was one of the first on the 8W podium back in 1998...

On writing those extended Why's: the reason we created the Trintignant Trophy and McLaren Cup is just because of that. Not every one has the time or motivation to go and write ten stories. Just six of them would save you some time. Furthermore, they don't have to be Capps size, i.e. two to five times bigger than needed to score the full three points!

I'd like to point out that we generally have the Why answers split up into six half points with a few of those given for directly race-connected information (the obvious stuff, such as first pole, last win, debut appearance, etc.) and some for some interesting details on for instance the car, the driver's career or the constructor history, or even the track, and also the links between the several pictures (like the Straight/Seaman/Maserati connection). The picture will dictate what is most important, i.e. the Reutemann picture was primarily interesting for the debut pole story, while the Crossley/Kelly story would center around the Alta marque and its history as a constructor and engine supplier. Most of the times it's fairly obvious.

So there is no need to try and cover all possible aspects of a picture (as some players do, as a way of "being sure" of those three points!). The actual story of the picture plus some interesting details, presented in a fun-to-read way, are enough to get you those three points. For example, Hans Swart, who received the Why of the Month award for the Cogan pic, didn't much elaborate on Cogan's Indy career or his huge Indy smash (which combined would have been a certain point) but instead told us something about the ill-fated Ligier-Curb project, which no one else did. Coming up with such a detail we ourselves overlooked will also dig us out those points. So there you have it...

------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
Visit the Racer.Demon web site at http://www.racer.demon.nl
URL1" TARGET=_blank>http://www.racer.demon.nl
URL1 http://www.racer.demon.nl/6thgear
URL2" TARGET=_blank>http://www.racer.demon.nl/6thgear
URL2 http://www.racer.demon.nl/8w
and" TARGET=_blank>http://www.racer.demon.nl/8w
and play 8W, the Web's most fiendish F1 detective game!
-----------------------------------------------------------

#5 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 08 December 1999 - 01:36

The Jack Brabham Trophy would be the crumpled nosecone of a BT33.

Also, that is great advice about the game -- do your best. Several good short paragraphs work very well. Good point about the Mike Curb Ligier story at Indy: I knew about it but just flat didn't mention it for some reason except in passing, with no explanation.

I encourage others to at least try. I did two dry runs on my own before I submitted an entry. The new format is very good: you can pick and choose decades.

As I said, Marcel is a winner in my book. I would love to see more from here join him.

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps