Photo

Did anybody watch 'Winning' on Speedvision last night?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Sawatsky

Keith Sawatsky

• 1,027 posts

Posted 20 December 1999 - 02:33

I was just scanning the tube when I came across this movie on Speedvision at 8pm MST last night.

It starred Paul Newman and featured lots of stock footage of Chapparals, Birdcage Maserati's, Aston Martins, etc. They actually used the real cars in the movie and it seemed that the historical accuracy was quite good. The directors even had the cars painted and numbered just like the same cars in the racing footage.

Except for the scene where they rolled a '55 Chevy in a ball of fire to simulate a crashing Corvette....the movie was quite good.

ps: The title listed in another TV guide is "The Green Helmet"....which one is correct?

[This message has been edited by Keith Sawatsky (edited 12-20-1999).]

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 20 December 1999 - 09:18

The film is more famous as 'The Green Helmet,'
But I don't think I've ever seen it - read about it in R & T, perhaps, back when they were commenting on the making of 'Grand Prix'
There are also racing scenes in 'On The Beach,' but not good ....

#3 Jonathan

Jonathan

• 6,548 posts

Posted 20 December 1999 - 17:46

Keith & Ray

I dont know what you were watching Keith, But I saw 'The Green Helmet' on Speedvision Saturday night (This is a black & white late 1950ies British film that featured 'Black Jack' Brabham, and some footage of D-Type Jaguars, a few 'vettes, and 'Lucky Castners' (Sp?) team in the ending credits). A "B-grade" film imho, but certainly worth watching none the less.

The film "Winning" is in colour, features Paul Newman & Robert Wagner as rivals and offers a few goofy subplots involving Richard "John-Boy Walton" Thomas (?) and Paul's wife (whats her name ? Joanne Woodward ?) Not a great film either, but worth watching for the 1960ies vintage Indy cars...

#4 Keith Sawatsky

Keith Sawatsky

• 1,027 posts

Posted 21 December 1999 - 11:35

Jonathan,

It was "The Green Helmet" judging from the description. What great footage! I can't agree more about the "B" rating though. The bit about the car sponsor allowing another brand of tire on his car halfway thru the race had me rolling in laughter.

I have 2 TV guides here and they have different listings, as is not unusual.

[This message has been edited by Keith Sawatsky (edited 12-21-1999).]