No tobacco advertising in South Africa?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 22 January 2000 - 00:56

http://www.forix.com...85/15002_RN.JPG

I saw this pic on FORIX of the 85 McLaren without tobacco livery. Whats the deal here? Is tobacco advertising illeagle in South Africa? I did not think it was.

Advertisement

#2 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,207 posts

Posted 22 January 2000 - 01:38

Sharp eye !
Although you might be somehow unbalanced should you take a look at the Ligiers...and their Gitanes logos in full fashion !
But of course, there's an explanation. I assume you are aware of the circumstances surrounding the race in 1985, and how several countries, as punishment for the apartheid policy followed by SAF at the time, decided to boycott the race by not showing it on TV.
With that scenario in mind, Marlboro, Barclay and Beatrice took the view that it was "incorrect" (they probably meant to their own interests) to be associated with the Circus in SAF, so they simply "cleaned" their logos from the cars.
That's the whole story, as far as I remember it.
Again, well spotted...you should play the 8W Game more often...
;-)
Felix

#3 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 22 January 2000 - 01:58

OK, I got it. As much as the tobacco companies like to get thier name out, they don't hesitate, at times, to take it off, like in Canada 1995 with Mild Seven removed all sinage from Benetton and Tyrrell.

BUT, I have another question from 1985 regarding tobacco laws. This is a pic from Brands Hatch of Alain Prost celebrating a just clinced world title. But this is in England, where advertisment is not all on the cars or uniforms (though they are allowed any logo/emblems).

Why does Prost have the Marlboro pasted on his uniform? Was there some loophole since this was held at Brands Hatch and the "European GP"? http://www.forix.com...85/08_PO_RN.JPG

#4 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 22 January 2000 - 05:36

Also,

<I assume you are aware of the circumstances surrounding the race in 1985>

The only thing I was aware of in 1985 was dreading the start of Kindergarden!

I am only 17. Thats why I have so many questions regarding racing history! :)

#5 Witt

Witt

• 3,308 posts

Posted 23 January 2000 - 11:49

Megatron, i think tobacco advertising wasn't banned in Britain until 1986. I remember on the 86 review Clive James was joking about how Marlboro would be spelt "M c l a r e n" for the GP.

#6 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 23 January 2000 - 18:01

The saga of tobacco advertising on cars has been quite convoluted. Cigarette advertising was never officially banned in the UK.Under a voluntary arrangement, no cigarette lettering has appeared on race cars since(I think) 1980, although the cars can still carry the colour scheme of the brand. In addition, trackside hoardings and posters could still carry the brand names. A similar arrangement operated in Germany up to 1998. More recently, the French government has actually banned cigarette logos on cars and all the teams' support equipment including transporters and motor homes. Obviously, the new EU legislation will eventually lead to the removal of all cigarette branding from the cars and indeed the removal of cigarette funding itself. I myself do not see a major problem here. Maybe its about time that teams learned to operate on smaller budgets or used their imagination a bit more in finding new finance - just as Colin Chapman did back in 1968 when he first approached Imperial Tobacco.

PS I have been an F1 fan since about 1965 and I've never smoked!

#7 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 23 January 2000 - 08:50

Thanks for replying guys.

As far as when tobacco was "baned" in Britian, well it must have been before 1985 because here are a few pics of the 1985 race with cars running non tobacco liveries.
http://www.forix.com...85/08011_RN.JPG
http://www.forix.com...85/08030_RN.JPG

Must have had some shortage on uniforms or something! This is kind of confusing! Someone lock Prost up!