Photo

The Bookworm Critique Mark Glendenning

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 04 December 1999 - 02:21

Is it just me? Why is Mark wasting his time reviewing all of these crappy books? Nothing against Mark but can't he find better books to review? I love DC like a brother but his diary has about as much chance hitting my bookshelf as does the Ayatollah’s favorite holiday recipes and this puff piece by Alan Henry is another crappy book.
I own enough crappy books to know one when I see one. ;-)

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Life is racing, the rest is waiting

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

Advertisement

#2 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 04 December 1999 - 02:33

DD,

Remember who the reviews and the books are directed towards - NOT DD or DC!

Like you, I am underwhelmed at the books that have been selected. Mark tries, but most of those he has had to work with have been just one fluff puff after another. To be honest, most don't require much effort to write and seem to sell.

Hmmmm, I think I might take the time to do a few internal "book reviews" for the Forum on a few books and why it is good to be familiar with them; or just books worth the while to read or to have around to keep you straight.

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

[This message has been edited by Don Capps (edited 12-03-1999).]

#3 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 04 December 1999 - 02:45

BTW The DC I mentioned was Coulthard. If he reviewed one of your "books" Don then I wouldn't complain. ;-)

Reading some of the Paddock posts I think that we have many people that would appreciate better quality books and there are some of those also being published. I look to the NYT Book of Reviews for books that I should be reading.

Plus why limit yourself to just new books.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#4 Xrayman

Xrayman

• 33 posts

Posted 04 December 1999 - 03:57

You guy's seam to be the historics people so what books would you suggest as good historic GP reading?

Within a decent price range that is!!!

------------------
Martin.

ICQ 53805151

#5 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 04 December 1999 - 04:33

Archie and the Listers and Managing a Legend Posted Image , both by Robert Edwards are good places to start.

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

#6 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 04 December 1999 - 04:52

A few other suggestions, all from the Atlas Bookstore ;) :

Mon Ami Mate by Chris Nixon Posted Image and his Silver Arrows Posted Image and Auto Union book Posted Image are on the steep side perhaps, but if in a library worth checking out.

I liked Andrew Ferguson's Team Lotus: Posted Image

Posted Image The Nigel Snowden books has some great images in it. But, I really like the Geof Goddard book: Posted Image

Posted Image and Posted Image and Posted Image are often found at a discount.

A few other suggestions:

Posted Image or Posted Image or Posted Image or Posted Image or Posted Image

And, finally, this is always worth the effort to get: Posted Image

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

#7 Keith Steele

Keith Steele

• 2,901 posts

Posted 04 December 1999 - 05:50

I'm thumbing through Classic Motorbooks catalog and there are a couple of books that I'm leaning towards for my father's X-mas gift.

They are
Can Am- Pete Lyons 39.95
Offenhauser- Gordon Elliot White 39.95
Through the Lense is there as well. for 39.95

My father went to his first Indy in 63' and always enjoyed the Can am cars in Minn. F1 was followed through Road & Track but my feelings are he might enjoy one of the first two over Through the lense as he made it to many more Can Am and Indy races. As a matter of fact next year will be both of our first F1 race (at Indy).

Suggestions?

#8 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 04 December 1999 - 06:27

All Three.... :)

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

#9 Keith Steele

Keith Steele

• 2,901 posts

Posted 04 December 1999 - 06:31

How does that song go?

"If I were a rich man..." Oh great now I dont even know where that song is from, is it King and I? :D

#10 VanAndy

VanAndy

• 150 posts

Posted 04 December 1999 - 06:58

Great thread, everybody.

As the acknowledged "eminences grises" around here Don and Dennis, why don't you post the occasional book review as the mood hits you, regardless of how old the book is?

I suspect many of us would benefit from your input and critiques; I typically don't pick the usual fluff pieces about the F1 world unless I think it's justified by a sound review. So fire away, boys!

Ciao,

Andy

#11 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 04 December 1999 - 12:55

My Two Lives

Posted Image

by René Dreyfus with Beverly Rae Kimes
The average modern driver, who must keep his nose to the grindstone from an early age, has no time to learn about life so that he tends to be something less than a brilliant intellect.

Denis Jenkinson

As an anecdote to the cookie cutter books that seem to come out the day after a driver turns his first wheel in a Grand Prix car. I purchased "My Two Lives" by René Dreyfus. During the 20's and 30's he drove Maseratis, Ferraris and especially Bugattis on the Grand Prix circuits of the world. In 1938 he won his greatest victory in a Delahaye at Pau where he beat the best that Mercedes had to offer. When World War II started he joined the French Army but while on leave to compete in the Indianapolis 500 he found himself stranded when Paris was overrun. Without visible means of support he opened a French restaurant and began his second career. Upon the United States entering the war, Dreyfus joined the American Army. In 1980 he returned to Europe to celebrate the 50th anniversary of his victory in the Grand Prix of Monaco.

The story begins in 1914 when René was nine years old. The middle of three children he speaks of his early life with fondness, growing up in Nice. He later joined the Moto Club de Nice, which was sort of a junior league Automobile Club de Nice. Forging his mother's signature René entered his first race and won, due to him being the only car in his class. During this time he and his brother Maurice owned a paper company with René the salesman. He somehow convinced his mother that if he had a Bugatti he would be able to get around faster and see more customers. His mother was duped and soon the boys had their first race car. In the coming years René finds himself at the center of the greatest period in the history of Grand Prix racing. His contemporaries included Chiron, Caracciola, Varzi and Nuvolari. It's his observations of this period that makes this book special. As a French patriot driving against the German cars we learn how it felt for himself and his friend Louis Chiron.

His second life as a restaurateur is also covered in detail both during and after the war. While this might not be of direct interest to my motorsport readers it actually covers a longer period of his life. We learn of the reunion with his brother and sister and of course his famous restaurant - Le Chanteclair which over its 25-year history was the gathering place for motosport iluminaries from around the world. In closing there is a touching chapter of René and Maurice returning to Europe and the celebration of René's victory at Manaco 50 years previous.

The following are some quotes from his book.

... Meantime, there was a new presence on the Grand Prix scene. At the Swiss GP at Bern on August 26th, I took a good long look at the Auto Union and Mercedes for the first time. There were swastikas all around, but all of us were looking at the cars. They were most unusual and enormously powerful. Four hundred fifty horsepower already, with the promise for much more. There were as many engineers in the pits as drivers. It was a gargantuan operation.

The political significance of all this eluded us. All we realized was that Germany's new chancellor was an automobile enthusiast and wanted the country's cars to be supreme, the most powerful, the fastest, the most everything.

René Dreyfus - 1934

The "racing enthusiast" was of course Adolf Hitler.

...Stuck's Auto Union was leading, but Tazio was giving him fits, until suddenly Nuvolari lost a piston just past the grandstand. He got out of his car and started walking slowly back to the pits. I was now in second place. My car was performing beautifully. Stuck's brakes, I could sense were fading.

This was Italy, and this was Tazio - and the crowd, seeing him walking, started a vigorous chant: "Nuvolari in macchina, Nuvolari in macchina!" When I pulled into the pits to refuel, Enzo and Gobbato asked me if I'd mind giving my car to Nuvolari. Of course, I wouldn't; Tazio was the team captain. Tazio beamed, and said grazie, and I shouted a few things about how the car was behaving and he took off. He drove like only Nuvolari could, and was challenging Stuck fantastically, but he was also wearing down the Alfa's brakes, had to pit to have them adjusted, and finished second.

To show you the man Tazio was, I was entitled to my percentage of the prize money only on the laps I had run, Tazio was to get his percentage on the laps he had accomplished with my car - but he refused any money at all. He told the Scuderia people that I should receive the entire prize because had I remained in the car I might have won the race. He recognized, he told me afterwards, that instead of trying frantically to catch up, he might better have played it cooler and waited to see if the other man would falter.

René Dreyfus at Monza - 1935

For Nuvolari to play it cool and wait for something to happen to the car of Hans Stuck would be like a cat barking! It would not have been Nuvolari who only knows how to drive - flat out.

While in the American Army Dreyfus had many humorous encounters especially when it related to the English language. While attending an interrogation class he was called upon to name the various battalions in a regiment. ...I stood up, and rattled off the list in my best English - and when I finished, the teaching lieutenant said, fine, you missed just one. I remembered it immediately, and remembered how my English teacher in Spartenburg had told me to always aspirate an "h" sound, difficult for a Frenchman, and so I aspirated with a vengeance and :assault" came out "asshole" battalion. The room fell apart in laughter."

The lieutenant was very kind, and when everyone had quieted down, told me that I was right but my pronunciation was wrong. He wrote the word "assault" on the blackboard, and I pronounced it once more, exactly the same way I had the first time. The room broke up again. Finally, the lieutenant said that actually, on reflection, I was probably right. And we got on to other things."

Dreyfus, René and Beverly Rae Kimes. "My Two Lives". Aztex Corporation, 1995, 1983 pp., ISBN 0-89404-080-4.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

[This message has been edited by Dennis David (edited 12-04-1999).]

#12 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 04 December 1999 - 13:25

Here are some books not from the Atlas bookstore! ;-) The first three are too big for my scanner.

Posted Image or Posted Image or Posted Image or Posted Image or Posted Image
Better save your pennies though because they start at around $100 and go up from there.

X - Do you mean histrionics?

Seriously I just got two books one called The Open Road and the other called Modena Memories which should be in everyones budget which I plan to review on my site and will reproduce here.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

[This message has been edited by Dennis David (edited 12-04-1999).]

#13 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 04 December 1999 - 13:43

Van - I'm the eminence grise around here! Don's the eminence grouse! ;-)

Sorry I've had too much to drink. It's my birthday. 46 years old Ouch.

Once again nothing against Mark it's hard work reading David Coulthard's diary.

As stated in another thread I'll be doing a review of The Grand Prix Car CD-ROM as well as Richard Nisley's new book as soon as it's released and he get's around to sending me a review copy. (Mid-Jan) Don't expect a lot of negative reviews. I don't like wasting my time on crap.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#14 VanAndy

VanAndy

• 150 posts

Posted 05 December 1999 - 00:10

Bingo, Dennis.

I'm looking for recommendations, and I like the way you guys justify your opinions. This thread is a good start.

Cheers,

Andy

#15 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 06 December 1999 - 07:33

One thing to consider, is that Atlas F1 aspires to appeal to a larger group of people than those who are affectionados of the Nostalgia Forum.

All the books you listed are great, but none are contemporary.

Mark and I try to pick as many recent books as possible. Sometimes, not too often, we'll stick in an oldie.

Dennis here wants Mark to review books for him, but what for? Dennis already read the majority of the books from previous decades. And as he mentioned, he owns enough books to recognise a crappy one when he sees it. So do I really need a bi-weekly column that convinces the convinced?

So yes, when planning the Bookworm Critique's line up, we would give up on ten readers in the likes of Dennis for 100 readers who are relatively less experienced with racing books and are looking into buying a books about their heros or about the sport as they know it today.

Also, Dennis et al, it wouldn't hurt you to read some of the books Mark writes about. I can think of at least two books he reviewed (and recommended) this year that you guys have not read (probably won't either, being so damn condescending about contemporary racing) - and that are by far some of the best books ever written about F1.

So tough luck for you and lucky me - I read 'Mon Ami Mate', but I also read 'As Time Goes By'. So which one of us exactly got the short end of the stick? :)

bira

[This message has been edited by bira (edited 12-05-1999).]

#16 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 06 December 1999 - 07:36

Well If you read David Coulthard's diary I'd say you. ;-)

BTW I don't need Mark to review books for me I do quite well myself! Actually the point of this discussion has nothing to do with modern day racing only the books themselves. Remember Robert Daley's The Cruel Sport was contemporary once. Because of the growth in popularity there is an explosian of books being published and there is a lot of crap being pushed, some by writers who have done better. Many of the readers here may not have access to a wide selection of books and may only be able to order online. That is where my concern lies.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

[This message has been edited by Dennis David (edited 12-05-1999).]

#17 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 06 December 1999 - 07:43

If I was even remotely a Coulthard fan, having read Mark's review I would have spent my money elsewhere. Since I am not his fan, I was simply enjoying to learn that his book is as crappy as his drive :)

In any case, I sense you totally miss the point of a book review. Do you think only good books land on the critique's desk in major newspaper who review books (not racing books necessarily)? Funny, it's always been my experience that the critique's work is to review those books that pose some or a lot of interest to some or a lot of the readers. And sometimes you end up recommending that book, and sometimes you explain why it's crap.

#18 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 06 December 1999 - 07:50

I only know too well what the purpose of a book review is! If it's crap say it's crap and move on. ;-}

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#19 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 06 December 1999 - 07:59

Prolonged, indiscriminate reviewing of books involves constantly inventing reactions towards books about which one has no spontaneous feelings whatever.

Confessions of a Book Reviewer - George Orwell

DD quietly leaves the scene of battle scarred but unbowed, safe to fight another day.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

Advertisement

#20 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 06 December 1999 - 08:12

usually, Mark and I will discuss every few months which books he will review, and then these books are ordered and sent to him.

we choose the books based on these criterias mainly:

a) new books who are likely to be of interest to many of the readers;

b) aspiration to review a variety of types - some biographies, some technical, so historic, some behind-the-scene, etc.

c) personal knowledge - ie, a book we know is worth reviewing or that we know is popular among others.

d) the book is available to all, and is not rare or out of print or much too pricy.

Of the books mentioned above in this thread, only a rare few fit any or all of those criterias.

Hope that clears if further.

#21 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 06 December 1999 - 09:37

Bira,

DD and I obviously have tastes in books that aren't shared but the vast majority of those who tune into Atlas. I happen to think Mark does an excellent job, this last review was honest and very fair - as usual Mark calls them as he sees them. It is that the two old grouches (even if DD at 40whatever is still just a baby) have just very different interests and tastes from whatever is generally reviewed.

As the former junior member of a review panel for a journal, I used to get all that was left over that the senior reviewers really didn't want to review. The editor and I used to have some nice exchanges about the books - some were awful, but I read them and wrote some honest reviews. One author did invite to step outside the next time we met - then he met me and changed his mind! He was expecting an airborne ranger type to write for some nerdy historical journal! Indeed, we are now very good friends and have been since then!

And to be honest, racing has rarely been the baliwick of great literature....

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

#22 Martin

Martin

• 70 posts

Posted 25 January 2000 - 12:55

As someone has mentioned Mon Ami Mate, I'd like to know if anybody ever saw a British TV movie based on it. Was it any good? Where can I get a copy?
I remember Eoin Young going on about it in his column in Autocar, but that was well over ten years ago.
I've looked in the usual places on the net but have found no mention of it.
Any ideas ?
Cheers
Martin

#23 Ian McKean

Ian McKean

• 480 posts

Posted 25 January 2000 - 18:50

I find myself agreeing with Don and others who consider modern motor racing books "fluff puffs …don't require much effort to write and seem to sell." (I love your turn of phrase, Don)

I was very grateful to my son who gave me Chris Hilton's Senna book for Christmas, since I took to my bed for some days with 'flu'. I enjoyed the book and found it revealed the man quite well. But I was surprised (I suppose I should stay "astonished"*) by the poor standard of English of a professional author. Many non-professional authors, Mike Hawthorn for example, have written much better.

Books I particularly like (some of which I still have, some I read years ago and can't remember if I borrowed or had them) are;

Champion Year - Hawthorn
Challenge Me The Race - Hawthorn
International Rallying - Stuart Turner
Specials - John Bolster
Shelsley Walsh - C.A.N. May
10 Years of Motors and Motor Racing 1896-1906 - Charles Jarrott
Starting Grid to Chequered Flag - Paul Frere
Autobiography - Caracciola (Can't remember the title)
Autobiography - Taruffi (Can't remember the title)
The Racing Car - Clutton, Posthumus and Jenkinson
Racing and Sports Car Chassis Design - Costin & Phipps

I have Full Throttle by Tim Birkin but find the style of writing very stilted. (It must be very stilted if an old f**t like me finds it stilted). It will be interesting if Rowan Atkinson makes a Tim Birkin film because he is a genuine enthusiast and although he will poke fun (I assume it will be a comedy), it will be sympathetic.

Finally a novel about racing in the thirties which I much enjoy. "The Racer" by Hans Ruesch.

Thanks to Don for mentioning Archie and the Listers. I had never heard of this book and shall look out for it.

The professor of English was caught by his wife with the chambermaid. "Well, I AM surprised!", she said, indignantly.

"No, my dear", he replied. "I am surprised. You are astonished".

Regards,

Ian McKean

PS Had to edit this message because I remembered another excellent book; I think the title was "Touch Wood". The autobiography of Duncan Hamilton.

[This message has been edited by Ian McKean (edited 01-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ian McKean (edited 01-25-2000).]

#24 smarty

smarty

• 1,910 posts

Posted 25 January 2000 - 19:59

Thanks for the suggestions.

In one of the other threads, someone mentioned about a book about Frank Williams written by Maurice Hamilton. Are there anyone out there who may comment on that? I love to read biographies and I think FW is an interesting guy to read about.

#25 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 25 January 2000 - 21:55

The Design & Behavior of the Racing Car - Stirling Moss and Laurence Pomeroy - is an excellent read. Insights into the background of the teams of the early fifties, particularly, and a lot about the development of cars at that time.
But don't ignore your own shores - there's an excellent book (very old now, I guess) about the Automobile Racing Club of America that I saw years ago. Willys Specials from the factory, all about the fore-runners to the road racing that came after WW2.
Just how much can you read about Nuvolari, after all?

#26 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 25 January 2000 - 23:28

I saw the book on American racing in Canada, they wanted $150 for it but it did look good.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#27 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 25 January 2000 - 23:30

Notice how I restrained myself and said nothing about Alan Henry's sausage-machine approach to producing material?
How this man could co-exist with Jenks is beyond me. How poor must the choice have been that he did Jenks job when Jenks didn't go to a race!

#28 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 25 January 2000 - 23:32

I picked it up second hand for a friend years ago for $6, read it and gave it to him. Recently I asked him about it and he didn't know where it had got to.
Should have kept it. Colliers' driveway indeed!