Photo

More questions from the annoying art-fart

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 27 January 2000 - 04:51

I'd like to do a painting of Surtees in the Ferrari Tipo 156 or 158 racing at Nurburgring in 63 or 64. Difficulty is, the angle I'm looking to paint it from is behind - and finding a good reference shot of that has proved difficult... I even went to the expense of buying a book called "Ferrari - All their F1 Victories" for $170 (it was wrapped in plastic so I couldn't see if the photos I needed were in there pre-purchase - they were not.)

One of the little details I'll need to figure out is what was written on the back of the car at Nurburgring... for instance, in 1965, at Monaco, Surtees car carried this;

PROVA
MO - 49

I'm afarid that none of the photos' I've been able to dig up have given me a clear look at that... The one exception being a blurry view of Surtees Tipo 156 which appears to say;

PROVA
MO - 55

But I could (and probably am) wrong.

Lastly... why did they paint the wobbly web wheels turquoise? yeeech.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 27 January 2000 - 05:27

Well, Bruce, you could possibly assume them to be the same at the 'ring, because that's the numberplate. "Prova" being Italian for some excuse to drive a race car on the road, "MO" being Modena and the number. I have a Nigel Snowden pic of a prototype from 1966 with Prova Mo 53 on it, and as the numbers are painted on I don't think they would change.
By the way, a friend of mine is like you, an artist, and he's the only Australian in the Guild of Motoring Artists or whatever it is that the poms have dreamed up. He does pencil drawings for the cover of the Newsletter I put out for the Historic Racing people here, good stuff, too, and paints the odd top quality pic.
He'll be doing my opening gambit scene for the story I'm doing on the 1965 AGP, a Phil Hill eye view of Tannery Straight with Brab & McL ahead and mirrors showing G Hill and Clark. He's looking for photo ref for the dash of the Tasman Cooper. Pain when you can't find reference, isn't it?

#3 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 27 January 2000 - 06:14

Thanks for that info Ray - Tell about it... the fact is that you can't guess or approximate either - If you do, guaranteed someone will come up and find something glaringly wrong!

#4 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 27 January 2000 - 06:30

btw - if you get a chance to post any of your friends work I'd love to see it - I'm always happy to steal other artist's ide.... er that is to appreciate their work.... ;)

#5 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 27 January 2000 - 06:41

Bruce,

On the Case. Also, how is the 68 MC one going? I think I have a magazine cover (Sports Car Graphic) from 1968 with Hill on it. And yes, the red is too black...

I will get back with you ASAP since the magazine is back home & I will not be able to do anything about the picture until this weekend.

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

Semper Gumbi: If this was easy, we’d have the solution already…

#6 Fast One

Fast One

• 600 posts

Posted 27 January 2000 - 06:51

Bruce--

You know I am a huge Surtees fan, so I want to see this creation when it's done. Please?!
I have a picture of him airborn at the 'Ring in '64, but it's a front view. The 158 he drove at Monaco in '65 was Prova Mo 49as you said. It was a '64 chassis, I believe. Brumm makes a 1/43 model of the '64 Nurburgring car. I ordered it, but they sent me the Italian GP car instead. It has Prova Mo 36 on the back. If you get the Brumm model, it will have the number.

#7 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 27 January 2000 - 10:26

DC - thanks - just got the drawing on the Hill painting finished... starting painting tommorow. The draft looks good though! (thats the way it always works though - starts well and goes downhill from there...) ;)

Fast one... I'll be happy to e-mail you a jpg when it's done and shot. I will warn you in this case that the car is probably not going to be obviously a Surtees Ferrari - as it will be almost fully from the back - I found a few photos of an interesting panorama that I wanted to draw, and thought that the Ferrari would fit in well... As to the models, I went down to my local store today and they only have the same brumm model as you do - from the Italian GP....

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 27 January 2000 - 11:52

Bruce, I'd love to post some of his work, but I can't work out how to do it. Maybe you could email me (raybell@eisa.net.au) and that would help me. I thought a picture had to come from another website, but obviously this cannot be.
But there will be no idea stealing, promise?

#9 Duane

Duane

• 271 posts

Posted 27 January 2000 - 21:08

Didn't the colour of the wheels have something to do with their composition - magnesium maybe?

#10 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 28 January 2000 - 01:28

Sorry Ray - you're asking the wrong guy - I couldn't post a picture to save my life.... I'm trying to learn all that stuff now - pic, websites etc - but progress is PAINFULLY slow...

#11 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 28 January 2000 - 04:05

Actually the wheels were blue because.... they were blue. It seemed a nice touch to offset the red and it looked nice. When the new 156 showed up and looked so, well, Lola-like, the blue wheels really set tongues to wagging...

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

Semper Gumbi: If this was easy, we’d have the solution already…