Photo

The Don Capps B&B

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Steele

Keith Steele

• 2,901 posts

Posted 22 January 2000 - 09:47

Don, after reading your article I came upon this magniicent idea. You go down to the local Home Depot and buy one of those outdoor storage sheds. Either run an electrical supply to it, or buy a generator. Throw in a garbage picked Lazy Boy recliner and a Target red light special reading lamp. Then each morning you leave a stack of those fine old magazines for your "guests" to read. What do ya think something like that would go for? And is the third week of March good for you?  ;)

[This message has been edited by Keith Steele (edited 01-22-2000).]

Advertisement

#2 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 22 January 2000 - 13:02

DSJ, lived in a shack with a generator for power. Didn't do too bad winning the Side-Car World Championship with Oliver and the Mille Miglia with Moss.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Life is racing, the rest is waiting

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#3 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 26 January 2000 - 04:58

My office at home is literally wall-to-wall with books, one wall completely covered with racing books plus a full-length closet full of magazines. It is in the basement and the rest of the basement is a professional library with most of the wall space taken up with my history (academic) books plus my aviation library and still more racing magazines. I have a difficult time concentrating at times for some reason...

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

Semper Gumbi: If this was easy, we’d have the solution already…

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 26 January 2000 - 05:18

I would have too, except for the fate that some of my magazines have met.
Wives are a fatal mix with magazines, it's all a tragedy, and officialdom. Don't make me cry...

#5 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 26 January 2000 - 06:10

Why is it that our stuff is junk but theirs are mementos?

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Life is racing, the rest is waiting

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#6 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 27 January 2000 - 04:03

Ray,

I understand! As someone who moves a great deal, I have lost all my pre-1961 Autocourses (the quarterlies) & those 1962-1967 & 1970-1971 (I never had the 1968 one), virtually all my Motor Sports prior to the 1980s, lots of books, and issues with race reports from Autosport, Autocar, Motor, and a few other magazines dating back into the mid-50s. Some that were at my Mom's were tossed by accident - that's her story and she is sticking to it! - in addition to all the stuff the Army conspires to lose each move. I also lost some books and mags and many photos (lots of old race pix and many of my Viet-Nam pix) when we had a room get flooded after the roof sprang a leak in a huge storm.

Nowadays, I guard my Stuff like the Crown Jewels. It has been painful trying to replace some of those books, especially those that cover the Heroic Era - Jowett and T.A.S.O. Mathieson and so forth. I almost cry every time I think of the things that I lost over the years. And I won't ever try to mention the aviation and military history books - it is equally painful.

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

Semper Gumbi: If this was easy, we’d have the solution already…

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 27 January 2000 - 04:35

My 1960s race programmes (I went to 30+ meetings a year those days) were eaten by termites, SCG and C&D escaped the throwout by being water-damaged beforehand, I had the English mag Motor Racing for a number of years - it went likewise, a few years of Autosport, but Motor Sport I managed to protect until the house was demolished. A book I have lost is the Moss/Pomeroy one. But occasionally I get to pick something up at a garage (yard) sale or bookfest. Like five binders of Racing Car News (1970s), which are surplus to my needs, but someone will want them. And a friend found a pile of stuff on a tip once and I've got some replacements from them.
One little win I had was that in talking to the daughter of a photographer/racer of the late forties she told me she had her father's collection. I asked about Australian Motor Sport and she found he had the first five years in bound volumes, and she was kind enough to send them to me for a reasonable figure. That's 1946-50. Full of good stuff from those hopeful years. Lobethal, Bathurst, Ballarat (Gurney won there later) and Nowra airstrips, 1948 AGP at Point Cook naval base, all about the 500 movement growing, various specials, tips on how to build specials, incredible stuff. And the things that were planned but never happened, like a 4-mile circuit near Benalla (Vic).

#8 Keith Sawatsky

Keith Sawatsky

• 1,027 posts

Posted 31 January 2000 - 01:52

I'll contribute my 22 year collection of every monthly issue of Car and Driver magazine to the B&B. I'm moving and am tired of humping the boxes.

By the way Keith since you are a chef and it'll be Don's B&B, I was wondering what you are capable of doing with MRE's ? (jargon for the wonderful "Meals Ready to Eat" that a few of us are familiar with)

[This message has been edited by Keith Sawatsky (edited 01-30-2000).]