Photo

Where They Raced

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 03 February 2000 - 02:46

Tell him Dennis from Grand Prix History sent you. (I get nothing from this I just thought that they were some wonderful books,)

Posted Image

"An enterprising scholar named Harold Osmer decided to do his master's thesis on the handful of auto racing venues (all gone now) that have graced Southern California over the years. He expected to uncover 10 or 15, but to his amazement found more than 100. To Mr. Osmer and the book he published, Where They Raced, we are indebted for a mind-boggling research project that suggests auto racing had a lot more to do with urbanizing the Los Angeles basin than historians have ever given it credit for." - Deke Houlgate - from his article A History of Southern California Racing as found in the inaugural California 500 event program.

This book is no longer available. However, a new updated and expanded
version is in the works and will become available in early Spring of this
year. Send me your mailing address and I will send you a notification when
it is ready.

You can look up my other book, Real Road Racing, at amazon.com. If you like
what you see, I would be happy to fill your order personally - and even
autograph it for you.

Thanks for your interest.

Harold O.

Posted Image

"Where They Raced packs a lot of hard data that has not been previously explored into a very enjoyable volume at a reasonable price. Oval track enthusiasts in particular will find this book indispensable and it belongs in any racing history library." - David Woodhouse - Vintage Motorsport. Where They Raced. Available for $25 (incl. tax & shipping) from Harold Osmer, P.O. Box 4741 Chatsworth, CA 91313. E-mail all questions directly to laracing@value.net

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Life is racing, the rest is waiting

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

[This message has been edited by Dennis David (edited 02-02-2000).]

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,247 posts

Posted 03 February 2000 - 04:46

That certainly looks like something that would keep you quiet for an hour or two - fascinating stuff!

#3 don hodgdon

don hodgdon

• 125 posts

Posted 06 February 2000 - 14:47

I own both of these books, they are fascinating!

#4 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,480 posts

Posted 07 February 2000 - 01:20

Does anyone know of similiar books covering other parts of the US especially the Elgin races? I have the book on the Savannah races.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Life is racing, the rest is waiting

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#5 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 07 February 2000 - 04:47

Does anyone have recommendations on where I can find books with information on tracks used for the AAA and USAC National Championships (ie the predessor of the IndyCar series)? I am trying to find information on the Kansas City track used in the mid 1920's that hosted a race for the AAA Championship. I would also like to know more about defunct tracks used for IndyCar and NASCAR races in the 1950's and 1960's too.

Thanks Dennis! Where can I find a book about the Savannah races? I came across a great buy at Barnes and Noble book store the other day in their sale section. A book called "A Century of Motor Racing" by Guzzardi and Rizzo for only $14.99! It is a 300 page large hardbound book that has a lot of good pictures and information on just about every major form of racing: Rally, NASCAR, F1, CART, IndyCar, Sports Cars, Early Grand Prix Racing, etc. with winners and champions listed for every major race and series. A great buy for only $15.

P.S. If anyone else comes across books on defunct tracks please post them on this site whenever you come across them as many of us would love to get a hold of these.